Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does your "flare" last?

Hello all, I'm just curious...how long do your flares typically last? Mine tend to last for about 4-5 days at a time. I guess I have really small flares throughout each day, but the flares that raise your average level of pain for several days is what I'm taking about. I'm sure everyone experiences something different...just curious.

• My flare ups last anywhere from an hour to a week. Totally unpredictable, and no one action is a trigger :-/
    Cheers William
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    After a while you can start to pinpoint the 'catalyst' for a new flare up. So many times you find yourself in a flare up and you dont know what caused it. You then start to back track all your recent activities and you will normally find what started it.

The duration of flareups will vary depending on the severity of a flareup. From experience mine have been fro a couple of days up to 3 or 4 weeks. When it goes longer than that, its generally time to see one of your doctors.

The most important thing to remember during a flare up is NOT to push yourself. The last thing you want is for your temporary flareup to become a long time problem.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've tried so many times to figure out what causes my flares but I've had no luck. I do know that I don't get instant feedback when I've irritated my back, it's usually two to three days after I've done heavy stretching or lifted too much before I feel the pain. I know that stress seems to have a fairly quick response if the form of pain but the rest is just a mystery to me. I have an appt in a week to be tested for food allergies. As usual, I hope they find something because nobody ever seems to find any reasons for the pain so I'm skeptical but to appease my loving wife I will go.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/30/2014 - 8:01 AM
    If you're being tested for food allergies I assume you are suffering from some fibromyalgia type body pain. Is it all over nerve, muscle type pain? Sorry if you've explained somewhere else, I'll try to find it...

I know that a surprising number of people get tremendous relief from 'mystery' pain from different diets. I'm with your wife (girls stick together!) it's worth trying everything & anything that's not going to damage you further. Until I researched it I had no idea the extreme symptoms that can be caused by everyday foods. Many find relief by going gluten free. I tried it for 6 months & it didn't help me...we're all different. I try to sick by an antiinflamatory arthritis diet & it really helps.
    Have you had bloodwork done? If you're lacking in things like magnesium, B12, potassium etc it can make you feel terrible. A magnesium suppliment & hot Epsom salt baths reduce my nerve pain. Do you take daily vitamins? Am I sounding like a nagging wife? Ha ha ha. I don't strictly believe 'you are what you eat' but it can make a big difference! ;-)

Diet? Exercise? The weather? Phases of the moon? I don't know what causes some of my flares. Like others, sometimes I know I've over done things but other times it's a bolt from the blue. Days, weeks, months...there's no set timetable to my flares.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Bamaboy100BBamaboy100 Posts: 40
    edited 07/31/2014 - 5:43 AM
    I do seem to have some Fibro related pain. I've seen a Rheumatologist and been told that I had Fibro because all the trigger spots were sensitive, but he said it wasn't "classic" fibro. However, my back doctor believes otherwise and thinks it's all FBSS. In the past year I started having achy forearms/wrist/hands when I have a flare or when I don't stay on Celebrex regular (2/day). I also notice the weather changes, especially bad storms, cause more pain so it's things like this that lead me to believe I have some Fibro and some FBSS. I've had blood work done several times and everything is great. I've tried the magnesium pills and some other OTC vitamins but no luck yet. Celebrex seems to work better than Lyrica, Symbalta, Neurontin, etc. I love sweets and dieting is incredibly difficult for me so I haven't had any luck sticking to a diet but my back doctor suggested going gluten free to try it. I know my diet is horrible but I'm 150 lbs and never gain weight so I continue to eat like crap. I have a foot bath that I use with hot water and it actually provides a good amount of relief for my feet.
  • I've got an incredible sweet tooth & kids..ugh! It's soooo hard isn't it? Diet become a habit pretty fast. It's better to be doing the right thing & then be occasionally naughty! ;-)
    The better my basic pain is controlled the less of 'those' symptoms I have. I've reached the point that chipping away at my different pains is the best I can hope for. Sadly it sounds like your in the same boat...
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • My average flare lasts for a week. Big flares last even longer. They barely happen. Only in major life events where I'm obligated to do physical activities. In my day to day life I keep a close eye on my activities. I would recommend being aware of your posture and physical activities at every moment. This helps you mentally backtrack what you did before a flare so that you can better pinpoint the cause.