Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about injections & laser therapy

I'm a new member so I apologize in advance if this has been asked...

I have a bulging discs at L3-L4, and herniated discs at L4- L5 and L5 -S1 with compression at S1 nerve root. The pain down my leg is so bad that I can't take it. This has been going on for 7 months. I have tried acupuncture, physio, spinal decompression etc. and nothing works.

Has anyone ever tried LILT (Laser Therapy) ? If so, any thoughts??

My second question is, has anyone ever had Marcaine injections? If so, how do they figure out the correct spot to put the needle? I was under the impression this is done by ultrasound guidance.. but today my doctor suggested this procedure to me, and he said "he just knows where the needle goes". Now I am stressed out about having the injections.

Again, I apologize if they have already been asked. I'm a newbie, and under a lot of stress ;)

Thanks All!!!

• I received four steroid injections in my back (L4/L5) for chronic leg/foot pain. I noticed that the doctor didn't have any computer imaging to aid the needle and I asked why. He gave me the same answer you received..."I just know where it's supposed to go". That doesn't exactly sit well but it was just another stone to turn trying to find the problem.
  • Thanks for replying.

Did the injection help you? If so, for how long and how many injections did you require?

Thanks again!!!!

• Hi
    I've had injections but they did mine under sedation as a day patient and used an x-ray to ensure the needles were in the correct place. I have the x-ray showing all 8 needles in my back! Sadly I had no relief what so ever and then went onto to have L5 S1 ALIF PLIF surgery May 13th 2014. I'm having Caudal epidural and more nerve root injections on Saturday hopefully may help this time round. Ill let you know. Take care xxx
  • WaterhouseWWaterhouse Posts: 8
    edited 07/31/2014 - 5:41 AM
    I wish you luck on Saturday.
    I was told I would be getting marcaine. Is that the same as what you had, or will be having?
    Keep us posted with how you are doing after Sat!!! Best of luck.
  • The injections helped me but only provided relief for one to two weeks at a time. Although I got relief it just dropped the pain from an 8 to about 4, the pain never went away completely.
  • without them being guided. I had on that was guided and I ended up with a wet tap thats where they pierce the spinal cord. Mine resolved itself with total bed rest and a lot of fluids some people end up needing a blood patch. Please always have a guided injection when dealing with the neck, spine and hip area....thats my personal opinion of course...
    This can't be happening