Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When to return to workouts

My surgeon said that 6 weeks after the surgery I can return to work working out etc as if everything was normal. But from my reading online everything says the healing can take months to a year to completely heal. How long should I wait before sprinting again and lifting weights(such has leg press and others that strain the back) and doing other high impact exercises?

I want to make sure I do not have a recurrence and dont want to rush back into things. but at the same time I dont want take things too slow that I dont accomplish my goals.

• I want to encourage you HIGHLY to research about spinal disc anatomy and herniations. Learn why a disc herniates and how it behaves after. Learn what it does to itself after being damaged. Learn about how the spine works and pressures that discs must endure.

IMHO, you should prepare yourself for the probability of reducing those activities that induce lots of pressure in your discs.
    (or the probability of further disc damage and surgeries if you don't)
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • horselady21hhorselady21 Posts: 174
    edited 08/01/2014 - 5:30 AM
    What type of surgery did you have?
  • laminectomy L5/S1 tomorrow morning
  • 6 wks sounds about right but listen to your Dr. You don't want to overdo it.
  • by your SURGEON. These are questions that you should discuss with him prior to your surgery and go over again with him prior to your discharge.
    There are activity limitations and restrictions post op that must be followed in order for your surgery to come out with the best chances of success. Doing too much too soon, can compromise your recovery.
  • hawk057hhawk057 Posts: 76
    edited 08/06/2014 - 8:02 AM
    I tried to ask before, but he rushed out too quick. I hope I will get to ask next week at the follow up. The instruction list doesnt include answers to what I want to know(just has back exercises for the first six weeks) But my incision site pain is too high right now to even do much so I will worry about it next week. :)
  • until at least your 6 week follow up appointment. And then, only when you are cleared for more than walking short distances , several times per day.
    If the doctor is leaving the room before you have your questions answered, stop him and tell him that you have questions you need answers to.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    until you get approval from your surgeon. And that has to include DETAILS, not just general exercise.

Folks that know me here, know I have a great deal of respect for surgeons and the medical field.. However, when I hear your doctor rushed out before telling you this or that, that bothers me. When you see him next do NOT ALLOW him to exit the room until you get the answers to your questions. You dont need to be rude or forceful, but you need to make the doctor understand that you have questions and you need some answers
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • This was started prior to surgery. At my current rate I dont think I will be doing much until september lol