Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgical Infection

My 20 yr old daughter had 360 fusion L4-S1 in Mid Oct 2013; she got a very deep surgical infection in the back cavity. She had clean out and revisions in November and December. She got a blood clot in her arm from the PICC line used to give her IV antibiotics. Pain control has been very poor. Once they stopped the IV antibiotics and put her on oral she did worse as far as pain. She had become wheelchair bound as pain to severe and many falls.

July 1, 2014, she was 95% fused so they removed the hardware from the back. Infection was encapsulated all over the hardware which was probably still causing all the pain, but it never showed in blood work. Infectious disease says it is now in her bone (osteomyelitis). After this last surgery she was able to walk with a walker, which is better (it give me her mom hope), but still poor pain control. She is also being treated again with the IV antibiotics. After almost dying of this infection, it has robbed her of any hope of getting better. I often talk to her and she is always waiting for her life to begin again, instead of living in the present. She just lies in her bed because it is the only thing that will give her some pain relief. She is seeing a therapist to sort through her feelings. Dr thinks once she starts physical therapy again she will start to do better, but she has no hope in that. I am heartbroken that this has mentally broken her!

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I also had osteomylitis of the lumber spine. It is a slow healing process with a 25 % chance of reoccurring. It took 7 weeks of iv antibiotics followed by another year of oral antibiotics before I felt half human again. My infectious disease doctor gave me the choice of staying on antibiotics for another year but I chose not to. so far so good. Patience is the key when dealing with this. I totally understand about laying in bed, that is all I did..It is a slow healing process and can be very frustrating at times, Hopefully since they removed the hardware where infection gravitates to she will begin to heal