Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Addicted Police Officer...help

I am in the middle of a pretty serious situation. At least I think so. My brother is a police officer and he began taking pain medication before he was diagnosed with anything painful. As with any story it begins with a small dose and now he is taking and over taking more pain medication than a cancer patient. He runs out of his medication early and his horrid wife fakes pain and wastes resources to get her own pain medication to control him and I know now he takes her valium as he has tried to offer it to me before. He drives a huge SUV under the influence, falls asleep at random times, and is in complete denial and he is VERY depressed and paranoid. The scary part is that he is a cop and he is allowed to carry a weapon, which he does on a daily basis. It`s a loaded revolver. He has expressed many times that he has wanted to self harm and he has his 12 year old son that visits sometimes and his youngest son was born addicted. I am very concerned that he carries a loaded weapon under the influence and he drives a large vehile under the influence. I have videos and pictures of him to prove this is the case. He is codependent on my mom because she "holds on" and doses out his pills and it`s always a fight. I know there is the family aspect about this that needs to be addressed but what do I do about informing the department that they are putting us as civilians in danger. I have tried to call the cops when I found him at the park standing up asleep but they never showed. He has been approached by officers in different departments completely high and flashed his badge and the cops go away. I'm scared for the safety of others and my family......what do I do?
Fall 7 times, stand up 8...

• i wish you the best, if you care about him, you probably need to do something, he is going to hurt himself, or others by his actions. i know, my brother was an alcoholic, and he would take just about any drug he could get his hands on. he hung himself in my mothers basement 3 1/2 years ago. my wife also had a cousin that was a cop, he was off duty out drinking, ended up going the wrong way on the highway, someone called the police, well he hit the responding officer head on killing them both. bottom line he needs to be stopped, some cops thing they are above the law.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    beyond what anyone here could recommend.
    It is very serious and needs to be addressed before something fatal happens to someone.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I knew a Sheriff that was addicted to Tramadol, taking 1500-2000mg/day. He had a seizure while driving his patrol car and was put on suspension for six months, only a month or two after being put back in his patrol car he had another seizure and crashed another car. I haven't heard anything further on the situation but I would imagine he's probably lost his job by now or been put behind a desk permanently. My point is that his addiction will catch up to him sooner or later, i just hope it doesn't include harming or killing an innocent bystander.
  • I know someone who got addicted to pain meds , he lost his job, he left his wife and kids, and moved to a large city panhandling for money to get his fix. The family received a call six months later, he had lost his life from an overdose of pain meds. This is a serious matter, doesn't matter if your a cop, judge, or the president .what's your choice? Pain or addiction? That's why I don't want anything to do with the hard meds. Hope everything works out fine for you and your family.
  • May be the department to get in contact with. Our his commanding officer. You may be saving more than one life. It is very difficult to do the right thing especially when you are in a family that has a dysfunctional codependency. You might also want to find a support group for families because you need help as well.
  • ThanksKarmaTThanksKarma Posts: 17
    edited 07/31/2014 - 5:14 PM
    I am not sure who his commanding officer is but I do know where he works so I think I would maybe be able to go there to speak with her about this issue. Because he is such a good manipulator I am afraid that he will do something to convince his commanding officer that all is well. He has had an incident with his wife and the commanding officer made him store his department issued gun at work. I am sure she will tell him that I went and expressed my concerns about his situation. I don't want him to be in a state of paranoia or depression and see something go down like a fight and end up just deciding to pull his weapon out and shoot. He turns molehills into mountains yet he can do no wrong because he is a cop. I don't want a family to get killed or even my brother to kill himself driving or with his weapon. Sadly I'm the black sheep of the family and according to them I don't even breathe correctly. I would hate to have detectives walk up to my house and tell me that my brother is dead and he injured or killed others. So then should I go with the department or the commanding officer directly?
    Fall 7 times, stand up 8...
  • William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,441
    edited 08/01/2014 - 6:01 AM
    As the Hon. Mr Dilauro mentioned, this is very serious, in my humble and non professional pov, please call the state police about this, a anonymous and very concerned citizen doing the public a favor no?, is better than someone-s dead,
    this isnt legal advice, this is a neighbor to neighbor chat no?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Usually the city has a resource person to deal with stuff like this. I would call his CPT and if he is not willing to do something then I would go up to the Mayor if you have too. If he was to hurt someone on drugs the city could get sued millions that kind of comments might wake people up. Many dept have a program that if the person is willing to go and get treatment and stay sober afterwards they can stay on the job. I would expect any police dept who gets a complaint about a police officer abusing drugs would do a drug test. It sounds like some of his family is enabling his drug use. They may think they can control his addiction but they can't and they are only helping him continue to abuse his drugs. I know that this something you really don't want to deal with but right now his life is more important then his job. He won't have either if everyone just pretends like it's O.K. As for yourself you might want to go to some AA-anon or NA-anon
  • in our department, any allegation is taken seriously, when it comes to the conduct and behavior of a police officer. Any allegation is investigated.
    You can call the chief of his department, or if he is with a large department, internal affairs. If you have video evidence of his abuse of drugs, especially on duty, then by all means, include that video evidence, but keep a copy of it.
    If the family is enabling him, and his drug use, then that is another matter, entirely, and they are not helping him, by doling out the drugs he is taking.
    The department also needs to know that he has other firearms other than just his service revolver.