Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My story which is relevant to 80% of the posts.

Hi my name is Sandra Willson, I wanted to share my medical finding which sound a lot like your Girlfriend has. I first started being seen for back pain Jan 2012 for 1 year then referred over to pain mgmt. My symptoms were right leg swelling, tingling, both legs numb and cold and progressively worst pain down leg and fire in my hip (literally)Pain Management referred me to spinal injections of which I had three. Long story short on the 3rd one I immediately had pain that takes your breathe away and it made me vomit. Of course I'm thinking what the heck is happening, so I try to make appt with my Pain Mgmt Dr and I cant get in for 6 weeks. By then I was a wreck in so much pain and just walking around wimpering. The Dr. finally ordered an MRI which to date had not been done or any other testing and received a call immediately from P.M. DR stating I must rush to a surgeon, but of course it took another month. I was placed on Percoset and morphine. End result is on March 31, 2014 I had 4 of the 5 disks fused, my stomache cut open to work on the front of my spine and bone off of my hip. I am in the process of being formally classified as 100% Disabled and in waiting for almost a year for the surgery and walking unnaturally it turns out I now need 2 total knee replacements, first one August 13. My left leg is still numb but I no longer have the hip pain. I was skating roller derby prior to going to Pain Management and I feel if proper testing would have been done I would most likely still have my life. My health care is with Kaiser and I did file a complaint requesting an investigation and almost demand a surgery date which did get me my March date. The complaint was face to face with a Supervisor in Member Services yet it mentioned nothing I had said re no testing which I am now fighting. Anyway, my spirits are pretty good and like anything else in life we have to adjust, stand up for ourselves and not blame the world. I'm happy and have survived so far.
Sandra Willson

• You have been through so much. I don't understand that the doctors gave you injections without doing an MRI first. Was that because of insurance reasons. I am so glad your fusions worked, a lot of us are still in pain management with failed back surgery. Good luck with your knee surgeries. Take care.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • Thanks for your comment and I had been treated for 1 year then sent to Pain Management which sent me for injections with no MRI. Of course when I'm vomiting from pain after the injections an MRI was done followed with an urgent call stating I need to see a Surgeon immediately. Now it's just my knees and hopefully and end to pain.
    Sandra Willson
  • You are so lucky that everything worked out after waiting a year to find the cause of your pain. Thank goodness. I understand that they are doing great things with knee replacements now. Is it just one, or both knees? You will breeze through it after your back surgery. Best of luck.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne