Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sex after tlift

How soon is to soon I'm only two weeks post opp and I'm still quite numb at the bottom however I am so wanting to get it on with my hubby but im still stiff and in a lot of pain i just wanted to know when did everyone else got back to your regularly scheduled programming lol

• Most surgeons want patients to restrict that activity for at least 6 weeks , due to positioning and strenuousness of the activity. Fusion surgery is no picnic and the chances of pulling interior stitches in the deeper tissues can be cause for concern.
  • I can't imagine trying at 2 weeks post-op, but I would talk to your doctor and do what feels right for your body. Just like with chores, getting up and out of the bed, showering, etc. you want to be careful not to over-do it -- there are lots of creative ways you can be intimate and/or sexual without full on regular sex like you were having pre-surgery. :) Best of luck to you!
    360 Spinal Fusion (ALIF/PLIF) 7/3/2014
  • I asked the question to my doctor at my 3 week post op and he said 6 more weeks. He mumbled something about physical exertion. I didn't make it that long, but we had gentle sex. Not that we have crazy aerobic sex normally, but there wasn't any letting go of he moment if you know what I mean. I would say wait at least another week or two. My back was sore after I did it the first time after having surgery, so that is why I say if you do it have him be gentle because you will more than likely be stiff for a day or so.
    Julie K
    L4/L5 fusion TLIF for spondylolisthesis on 5/12/14
  • PeggyMcPPeggyMc Glendora, CaPosts: 17
    I'm 8 weeks out of ALIF PLIF 360 .......
    Give your body a chance to heal.
  • I don't think there is any time. Everybody is individual. Some can have it as soon as they out of the hospital while others prefer to wait. It all depends of the person and surgery. But just take it easy..
    I d rather try to be romantic if not i get depressed and that also effects the healing.

I think it's all individual and depends of how you feel with your surgery and also how you feel with your relationship.
    I think 6weeks is crazy and will put unwanted stress on the relationship etc.
    Ok, if you been together 20 years etc.
    36y old female, s1-L5 micro discetomy 18th of September 2014
  • My wife and I tried at the three month point and it still was very uncomfortable for me. Not to mention that surgery caused me to have some serious other male issues which keep me from performing without help from medication now.

If the relationship is strong, going without sex for a while shouldn't be a problem. Communicate with one another so that there aren't any feelings of hesitancy or anger because "things" aren't happening. Fusion is a major assault on the body. Be careful!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
This discussion has been closed.