Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disk Replacement 360 Fusion-1 year and still recovering

TrishaTTrisha Posts: 7
edited 08/02/2014 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Car Accident 2 1/2 years ago

Herniated disk between L5-S1 and discovered spondylolisthesis

Disk replacement 360 fusion- 1 year ago

One year ago I had a disk replacement 360 fusion and am still recovering. I have gotten relief, but am still healing. I'm SO glad I went ahead with the procedure. I am a 33 yr old Neuromuscular Therapist and did everything I possibly could to avoid surgery. I was in a car accident 2 1/2 years ago and herniated the disk in betweenL5-S1. I was having spells of fainting and vomiting from the P and severity of the injury. After xrays were taken I was told I had the herniated disk but also a spondylolisthesis that I was unaware of and had been living with most of my life. They recommended surgery and I was not mentally ready for that in the beginning. I did 9 1/2 months of PT, stretched 4-6 hours a day (which I still do), iced pretty much all day long, and kept having relapses. During the last episode of fainting and vomiting I experienced tunnel vision, numbness and tingling in my entire body, loss of control, disorientation, and I honestly thought I was having a heart attack a dying. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. It was after this that I reconsidered the option of surgery. I was nervous to the point of having severe anxiety attacks with hyperventilation, but knew that it had to be better than this.

I went to 5 different ortho's over time and am so blessed I found my doctor, Dr. EDIT in Atlanta. He told me that he was amazed I was walking and not in a wheelchair. He told me that if I tripped, fell, or was in any type of accident I would most likely be paralyzed. I was astonished! I knew the moment I met Dr. EDIT he was the one to fix me.I scheduled surgery that day for the following month. He performed arthroscopic surgery which is less invasive than regular procedures. So less time under, less chance of infection, less recovery time, less scarring.

I wish I would have done it sooner than I did. By avoiding it you create a whole other set of issues and it actually takes you longer to recover from surgery due of the long time stress, aggravation, nerve impingement, muscle spasms, etc. I had to go into it with an optimistic pov and know that it was going to get better. I am very active and enjoy many hobbies. I love to dance, exercise, garden, walk my dogs, swim, ect. So I was excited to think about being able to start doing the things I Iove doing again!

The surgery was a Great success!! I felt relief the moment I woke up, even after being cut open front and back. I cried tears of joy and relief. My husband and family realized after that just how much pain I had been living with for the past 1 1/2. Dr.EDIT said it was one of the best he had ever done and was very pleased with the results. I am still healing but am able to much more than before my procedure.

*** This is my frustration. I do everything I'm suppose to. I stretch for hours everyday, ice when necessary, exercise, soak in Epsom salt baths, get massages weekly or bi-weekly and small chiropractic adjustments, meditate, etc. However I keep having severe muscle spasms (esp in the R hip and abdomen, psoas and illiacus in particular) which causes my hips to rotate causing P and inflammation. Being an NMT I do self massage very often but it only helps so much. My husband, family, and friends just don't understand why I'm not "100% better" since I have reached my 1 year mark. I try to explain what I'm experiencing to them and why it's taking so long but they just don't understand. Has anyone else experienced the recurring spasms or longer healing time than you were told or expected?

Thanks for your input and/or opinion.

Post edited to remove name of specific medical facility and Drs. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
Trisha Butler

• recovery takes a very long time around 2/3 years your spine may be stable now but all the surgical alteration will still be recovering and the other things you mention are as a result of the massive surgery that you have undergone ,I take it your still under the consultant ? have you told him about your ;;episode;;? I would if I were you I hope you get on top of the pain but that may take a long time
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • TrishaTTrisha Posts: 7
    edited 08/02/2014 - 9:07 AM
    Thanks so much for your input. I knew it would take a long time but my Ortho told my husband and I that I would be released in a year. So now my husband has that in his mind. I understand that it can take longer, especially since I waited 1 1/2 years after the accident to get the surgery. I know that some of my muscles were shortened and some were elongated, so it's going to take time to reverse that. I've talked to a couple people that had a similar procedure, not the 360 ( which I know is much more in depth), that have made a complete recovery in a year. I understand that everyone is different and the severity of the injury will be a factor in the recovery time. I am just hoping I get her the spasms under control in the best future. Luckily I haven't had the "episodes" since surgery. My ortho thinks it may have been stemming from the vertebrae pinching the spinal cord material causing my PNS to kinda shut down to avoid damage. Not really too sure, but just glad they stopped. I'm just continuing to rest, stretch, massage, and ice. I know it'll have to get better at some point.
    Trisha Butler
  • TrishaTTrisha Posts: 7
    edited 08/02/2014 - 9:11 AM
    Thank you Liz. I've found this forum to be really helpful so far. I appreciate all of you who have taken the time to put it together and keep it going. So glad I stumbled upon it. I'll be recommending it to my patients that could benefit from it as well. Thanks again!
    Trisha Butler