Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Fusion done now I have herniation below the fusion

fmoadabffmoadab Posts: 7
edited 08/24/2014 - 5:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Male, 52 years old. On 10/29/13 I had fusion on C4-C5 and C5-C6 due to herniation on both levels and stenosis. My recovery was good to the point that I stopped therapy and I was doing well at work even though my work can be physically challenging at times. Jan 10th, I was involved in an accident that set me back. The other car skidded through snow and rammed into me on the driver side and totaled my car. I went to see my surgeon and I told him that I had pain again. He took an x-ray and said things look ok, referred me to start therapy again, so I did. Therapy was not making mush of a difference and my work was making me have more pain. My therapist suggested trigger point injections so I had a few, and they did not help. Talking to a pain management doctor, he suggested to get a MRI to see what is going on. I did that last week and result is that I have sever herniation between C6-C7. I can not tell you how upset I am that after going through the surgery less than a year ago, I might have to go through another. I am to see my doctor in a few days to discuss what should be done. I can't help thinking that perhaps if I had artificial discs put in instead of fusion, this might not have happened, and going forward, I am sure another fusion will limit my mobility even more, and put the lower discs at risk, and may be I should have an artificial disc put in this time. I am at a point that I can't decide what to do any more. My wife is very negative towards surgeries, and she wants me to go to acupuncture and alternative routes, and I know I won't be able to do the physical work at my job if I do that.
Any advice is appreciated. I am a family man and I have to provide for my family. Please help me decide what is right. Thanks in advance.

• I am facing another fusion on c6-c7. It will be the second one in one year. If it was not for bad luck, I would have no luck. I can not believe this is happening to me. I lifted something heavy which is how it all started. I have the fusion on c3-c4 and c5-c6. 2 months after that, I was in a car accident which I got T-bonned. Now Have herniation in my lumbar and right below my fusion. I used to be healthy, 5'11 215lbs, very muscular and able to lift or do anything, now I feel it all has come to an end. Along with the new fusion, the canal for the nerve on the left side on c3-c4 has to be cleaned up. I have become very negative, and frankly I don't think the operation will be a success to get rid of my pain. I have a family that I need to support and I won't be able to in this condition. I have become a burden to all in my family and am having a very hard time seeing myself go on with life. I love my family but I have become a delama to them and sometimes, more often as I go on further, I think it would be easier if I am not around. This is getting very difficult to deal with. My friend tell me that I will be fine, but I know that is just to lift my spirit and I will never be the same as before. Even if I fix my neck, I still have my lumbar to deal with. I just want this to end.... really just end. I can imagine what I will be like as I get older. My family will hate me as I will be nothing but a big headache. I wish I could just have my entire spine changed, but that is not happening so I am thinking of ending this once and for all.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I know what that's all about but having severe osteoarthritis made my spine issues worse. I had a 360 degree fusion, corpectomy, disectomy, with a strut, cage, plates, & screws installed in C4 thru C7 done in 2007. In april of this year I had a posterior fusion of C2 all the way down to T3 done. This last surgery was a bit tough but now that it is behind me and I'm feeling really well now I have more confidence that my cervical spine is now stable and I don't have to live in fear worrying about my cord being sheared due to some unforeseen accident.
    Oh, I also have some lumbar issues to deal with on the horizon, but I'll cross that path when I need to. We all get down and out at times but you need to find the strength to battle back and win this war, it can be done, I am living proof.
    Let me know if I can be of any help, PM me if you want, I'll do my best to answer your questions.
  • Jonny ZeroJonny Zero Posts: 69
    edited 08/24/2014 - 4:55 AM
    Listen my friend, it's when things get worse that you must not quit! You were doing well before. I'm certain you can achieve this again in time.

I feel for you as I am going through this as well, but imagine your family without you. Really sit there and think about what you will leave behind and the ramifications of doing just that. You will destroy them. You are not a burden to them! They are going through this too, so try to get positive for yourself and for them. I'm sure they love you more than what you know.... Please please get help if you truly feel like ending your life. Depression is very very real, especially in the wake of the circumstances you are going through. I am on Paxil and feel that it has helped me to cope with the situation I am in. Robin Williams felt exactly the way you are feeling. Please, for your own sake and the sake of your family, get help. Don't do this to them..... They need you.

No one can predict the future. Focus on doing the things you need to do NOW in order to get better. Tomorrow is too far away. Any man can take on the BS of just one day. It's when you burden yourself with the turmoil of what tomorrow may bring that things become unmanageable. Worry about today. The here; the now. In time, it WILL get better.....And believe me, I'm not saying this to make you feel better; I'm saying this because I am beginning just now to see improvement (it has been almost 8 months since my accident that caused my 4 level posterior instrumented fusion).

Every now and again life will reach out and put a choke hold on us all. Don't succumb to it; rise above it and fight!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to PM me anytime, even if u simply need someone to talk to. It's easier sometimes to talk to someone you don't know.

PS Jonny Zero is the name I created to reference how I felt. Today I am feeling better my Friend. U can too!
    4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
    And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 08/24/2014 - 5:00 AM
    Suicide is not a subject any of us on the forum are trained to deal with, Here are the helpline where you can get professional help.

Suicide Hotline Numbers
    USA: 1-800-784-2433

UK : 08457 90 90 90
    ROI: 1850 60 90 90

Suicide Hotline Numbers for Canada (URL Link)

I am closing this thread

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery