Male, 52 years old. On 10/29/13 I had fusion on C4-C5 and C5-C6 due to herniation on both levels and stenosis. My recovery was good to the point that I stopped therapy and I was doing well at work even though my work can be physically challenging at times. Jan 10th, I was involved in an accident that set me back. The other car skidded through snow and rammed into me on the driver side and totaled my car. I went to see my surgeon and I told him that I had pain again. He took an x-ray and said things look ok, referred me to start therapy again, so I did. Therapy was not making mush of a difference and my work was making me have more pain. My therapist suggested trigger point injections so I had a few, and they did not help. Talking to a pain management doctor, he suggested to get a MRI to see what is going on. I did that last week and result is that I have sever herniation between C6-C7. I can not tell you how upset I am that after going through the surgery less than a year ago, I might have to go through another. I am to see my doctor in a few days to discuss what should be done. I can't help thinking that perhaps if I had artificial discs put in instead of fusion, this might not have happened, and going forward, I am sure another fusion will limit my mobility even more, and put the lower discs at risk, and may be I should have an artificial disc put in this time. I am at a point that I can't decide what to do any more. My wife is very negative towards surgeries, and she wants me to go to acupuncture and alternative routes, and I know I won't be able to do the physical work at my job if I do that.
Any advice is appreciated. I am a family man and I have to provide for my family. Please help me decide what is right. Thanks in advance.