Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Left Microdiscectomy

Hello, this is my first pot. I'm a 40 year old male and I've had consistent lower back and hip and leg pain in addition to tingling in my feet on my left leg for the last year. I believe I originally injured my back 20 years ago doing a deadlift. After 9 months of pain, I had one chiropractic adjustment and felt brand new. Over the last 20 years, I never had any back pain except for once every 2-3 years I would feel a little discomfort and get an adjustment and feel ok for another couple years. I'm a PE teacher in addition to having a Landscaping business for 7 years. I think I reinjured it when I lifted a heavy bag of wet sod. I remeber feeling something not right although I didn't feel any immediate pain. I did feel something vibrate something in my back a few times several weeks lateras it coul've been my discs. Over the last year, I've had to sell my Landscaping business in addition to missing some time from my regular PE job. My main complaint is I 've had no pain but tingling in my right foot. This has been going on for over a year. I've tried the conservative treatments such as 5 epidurals, traction, pt with only temporary relief. I've had 3 MRI reports in the past year. I have an annular tear at L4-5 protrusion approximately 2-3 mm pronounced to the left where the L% nerve toot is abbuted. My main concern is the tingling and pain in my hip/upper glute area. I'm taking Gabapentin 600 mg a day and only at night since I can't funtion during the day. I've gone to 2 orthopedic doctors and both do not recommend surgery as an option. I've also gone to a Nerosurgeon and he had recommended a Left Microdiscectomy. I'm really perplexed on what to do at this point at the different opinions and what to do at this point?

• I had Discectomy/fusion done on two levels of my neck by a Neurosurgeon, and all was good till I lifted something heavy, and caused a herniation on a level below my fusion less than one year after my surgery. I believe it was the right thing to do to have the procedure, but I was not careful enough, and I may have to go through it again. My advice to you is that have it done but don't be careless like me and screw yourself up. There is harsh truth that we have to accept which is we will never be able to do things like we used to. Lifting heavy stuff has to a thing of the past.