Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 microdiscectomy 5 days ago and still numb on right leg

Hi everyone,
I am new to the board but grateful to find it. I just had a microdiscectomy on my L5-S1 about 5 days ago now. I am still feeling that numbness down my right leg (right to the toe) and I am wondering if that can go away if I give it more time! I have this massive (I'll call it a Charlie hoarse) pain in my right side buttox and it feels like it is the root of the numbness now. I want to switch to Motrin and stay off of the oxicodone. I am al so on the highest dose of gabipentin 3x per day and would like to get off that too. Any idea when the numbness/pain start to show signs of going away?

• This is my first time posting here, but I have been reading for quite some time. I am 4 days post op from microdiscectomy at L5-S1. I had unbearable pain on the first night that meds couldn't touch. I'm taking 800mg Motrin/3day, 300mg gabapentin/3day, and alternating between Vicodin and Norco every 4-6 hours. I'm a zombie most of the time, but the pain is much more tolerable now. Probably close to the level of pre-surgery pain. I seem to have pain in all of the same places as before (right buttock/hamstring, right calf, and right hip/groin), but the pain feels slightly different if that makes any sense. I'm hoping this is all normal and that things slowly improve. My surgeon and his staff have been very responsive and have assured me everything went well and this is part of the process. I'll keep resting and icing, and hope for the best.
  • I'm almost 10 week postop from my L5s1 micro disc and I still have some numbness/parasthesias in my left foot. The numbness that I had preop had resolved about 5-6 weeks postop, but with increasing activity I've been having some new parasthesias in the foot. I was told that the numbness experienced preop can take months to over a year to improve, if at all. Numbness is usually the last to resolve. Hope this helps a little.
  • DO NOT stop any medications given to you without discussing it with your surgeon first. Som of the medications given to you, can have nasty withdrawal effects if suddenly stopped without titrating off of them properly.
    Even though you may be feeling better post op, it is never wise to suddenly stop a medication without discussing it with your doctor first.