Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK I have been suffering with Lower back pain for over 20 years, I have had 2 discectomys' and decompression of the spinal cords I have have also had 7 epiduials and now injections in the facet joints and then in the neves to kills the pain.

I have been advised now there is no cure for the pain and it is now all about pain management.

I am now on tramadol 400mg and also Gabapentin 2700mg per day thats a total of 18 tablets including my Anti depressents.

I cannot move without the pain killers, but I dont want to live life on medication.

I have asked my doctors and consultants what other pain killers can I use / try

I have been on Tramodol for over 18 months and I know these are highly adictive so I wanted to change on to something else short term say a month or two to give me a break. Any others that give the same releif but not an opiate ? any advice ?

Also Gabapentin does help but taking 9 tablets a day I rattle like a Baby's Toy inside.

I am struggling now as DWP want me to work but I do feel I cant, Im not sure if I will receive any other benefits like incapaity benefit as whilst on medication I would appear somewhat fine although I get double vision, head judders and a number of other side effects which makes like difficult to work.

I tend to struggle in the afternoons and need sleep as I do not sleep very well during the night, usually up 2/3 times a night for an hour, although if I take sleeping tablets I might only wake up once. Again more meciation I do not want to take if at all possible.

I feel I am fighting DWP want me to work and the pain clininc are telling me to restrict my work and do not do anything too testing, not much physical work.

I need money as I cannot live on ESA not helping no other benefits I have not worked for over 2 years now because of these conditions.

What Help can I get ? what medication would be useful to try ? to not only help function but also help my sleep ? I feel like I am fighting a battle with no end of hurdles to jump and getting now where fast.

Mentally I am now struggling as I cant live with the pain and the thought of this for ever seems too much to deal with ! I suppose I am now desperate what do I do or what can I do.

Thanks Russell