Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Info on Pilates

Hi all,

I was looking for some advice on Pilates to cure back pain and improve flexibility/core strength. I am 20 years old and last summer I injured my back squatting. It's been bad ever since and I think I have restrained it multiple times since then by not taking the injury seriously enough. The pain is in my mid-back whenever I am active at all or sit for too long. If I don't workout or do anything for a few months the pain will eventually go away.

Several people told me that I should try pilates. I looked up a 30 minute exercise video on youtube yesterday and did the whole thing. It was difficult but I made it through and my back felt great the rest of the day. I felt like my back was the most loose it had been in months. Today however (next day), my back hurts quite a bit. It feels sore and I have sharp pain in the mid-back.

My question is: could I be doing more damage to my back? I can deal with the pain and keep doing the exercises but I want to be sure that I am not causing anymore serious damage to my back that will further my recovery process. Could this be something I need to work through to strengthen my core/back? I read that you can actually do further damage through pilates workouts.

A little background: I have been going to PT for a couple months now. Started out doing more core exercises but the pain persisted (got worse actually) and so now I am on a regiment consisting of mostly just stretching. They said it was okay for me to try pilates but I don't think they actually gave it much thought. I'm kind of pissed off at their inattentiveness at the moment and debating seeing someone else.

If anyone has done pilates to improve back pain, I'd love to hear from you. Or anyone knowledgeable really, just looking for advice. Really need to get over this injury to get back out there!

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/07/2014 - 8:44 AM
    5.12 You agree that any information, opinions or other content provided by doctors or patients on Spine-health.com forums is for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.

We can not tell you whether or not something is good for you or bad for you. There are some things you really need to discuss with your doctor, before doing.
    What has your doctor recommended regarding excercise and what has your physical therapist recommended for you? Those are the people that need to direct your care.