Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My name is Tracie. I am 35 yrs. old. I have had pain on and off (flare ups) for the past 2 yrs. I would have muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders for approx. a week and then it would go away and flare up again in regular intervals. During these flare ups, I wouldn't be able to move my head/neck and shoulders and would have regular shoots of pain that would make me cry and beg God for mercy. I would go to the family dr. practice and they would prescribe muscle relaxers and anti-inflamatories. I would be literally knocked out from the meds but I couldn't take them when I had to work because of safety reasons and because I just couldn't function. Fast forward to March of this year, I started seeing a chiropractor. I was diagnosed with sublaxation of the spine. I know its a loose term. I did not have any curve left in my neck. I started treatment including massage therapy(heaven!) and regular adjustments. I was also doing a posture pump regamine to help regain the curve in my neck. Despite the work they did for the massage, I had several areas in my shoulders and shoulder blade area that hurt like heck to the touch and wouldn't loosen. Some time in late may, I had my last 2 message therapy treatments. A different massage therapist had done the last 2 treatments and she had a different style than my previous one. She had a different style that was not agreeing to my body. I had more pain than ever in my neck. I told my Chiropractor about it and he tried different adjustments that were not helping. The pain was mostly on the right side and going down my entire arm. The pain kept getting worse despite the issues. One night when I went to use the posture pump, I was unable to move after a couple cycles for about 15 minutes. I was told to stop using it. I had x-rays done and no structural issues were found. We did find that I was regaining the curve in my neck. He ordered an MRI and found that I have Extruded discs at C5 and C6 with pieces of the disc had broken away from the main part of the disc. Also the discs at C4 and C7 were bulging. The Chiropractor believes that the disc may have been bad for quite a while and while we were trying to regain the curve in my neck, the disc became dislodged from where it was being compressed. I am now waiting for a neurosurgeon to review my file and take the next steps. I feel like I am in limbo right now. I am still seeing my chiropractor for relief of the other repeat offender discs lower in my spine. I had an appt. today and my usual Dr. was on vacation so I ended up being seen by someone else that doesn't know me from Adam. He made an adjustment on my neck faster than I could react and now I have a major headache and worse pain than before. I think next time, I will wait until my dr. gets back from vacation before getting an adjustment. lol. As far as right now as I wait for this issue to be fixed, I get very little sleep because of the pain. I somehow get thru work in pain because I cant afford not to go to work. They count every time I call in and look down on it severely, They don't really care what you are going thru as long as you show up. Nice, right?

I don't mean to be a cry baby and sorry its so long. I try to research everything as much as possible and I feel like I cant seem to find enough to satisfy my need for info. I don't have any knowledge to really share but I have been reading peoples posts here as much as possible. I hope someday we all will find an answer to get the pain to go away.
Tracie C

• Hi Tracie,
    I'm new here too. I've read posts for years and finally decided to join last night. I had pain for years that sounds similar to what you describe. And don't call yourself a cry baby.... Chronic pain sucks! And over the years I've learned that unless you've lived it, you have no idea how frustrating and alone a person can feel.
    When my muscles in my neck and shoulders would lock up so tight that I couldn't move I tried most everything you described.
    Then a new Dr asked me to try Cymbalta and it did help for several years.
    I haven't had even 1 xray with the normal curve in my neck. It's called loss of normal lordosis.
    In 2010 I had a whiplash injury and herniated C6-7 and while it happened at work my claim was denied. I also had undergone 3 L5-S1 surgeries in 2007. So I found a new neurosurgeon with an excellent reputation and he said I needed a fusion. I wasn't ready to trust him because my lumbar issues had not resolved. Then in 2012 I was in physical therapy for a right arm issue and somehow I herniated C5-6! All I did was gently test my right vs left arm strength and felt a pop and instant nerve pain down my left arm.
    So, I finally went back to the neurosurgeon because I could barely lift my left arm along with the radicular pain.
    He looked at my new MRI and said "I knew you would be back, but now you need two levels fused".
    I expressed my concerns regarding fusion surgery and how my back and rt leg sciatica were word than prior to surgery.
    He promised that cervical fusions tend to have better outcomes than lumbar fusions.
    So, I had an injection to prove the nerve root at the new herniation was causing me to want my lt arm amputated and I had immediate relief.
    So, had the double fusion at C5-6-7 and he used an anterior approach and my arm pain is gone. However I still have weakness in my left triceps from being stubborn and afraid.
    My neck still aches, but such is life. It is a dull ache and the severe arm pain has not returned.
    I was also told that having two levels fused in my neck actually made it less likely to cause more issues above or below.
    Sorry I got so long winded! Lol
    I wish you the best of luck! And always remember that you know your body better than anyone!!! If an MD told me how I felt and was not willing to listen. I would run! The "God Complex" does not mean extra years of training makes them mind reader!!
    Take Care and let me know how you're doing!
    L5-S1 micro x2, L5-S1 fusion, ACDF C5-7, Anterior and posterior cervical fusion C4-7, plus 4 right arm surgeries:(
  • Welcome to Spine Health.

A word of caution, anyone with disc herniations or the possibility of compressed or pinched nerves should not allow a chiropractor to adjust your neck or spine until you have been cleared by a spine surgeon to do so.
    The spinal cord travels through the canal in the spine, and allowing anyone to do adjustments without being medically cleared to do so, can cause major problems for you.
    Heat, ice, topical creams and ointments , anti inflammatory medications might help in the meantime, but I would not continue chiropractic care until you have seen and discussed it's safety in your situation with your surgeon.