Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery off balance before and after

DosskarDDosskar Posts: 2
edited 08/04/2014 - 2:35 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. I am new to the forum but am wondering if there are any users that have had ACDF surgery and have had balance problems or dizziness. I went to multiple ENTs for quite a few years. I had always had a little problem with tight muscles in my neck area etc and had been to pt etc. I had 3 nerve blocks over three years and the last MRI showed that my disc was in my spinal cord with possible damage. My neurosurgeon told me that it could absolutely cause the dizziness ( which is things are moving when I am not, not a spinning type of vertigo). I was diagnosed by the last ENT that said I had cervicogenic vertigo. I then pursued with the neuro. Of course the disc had to leave because it was causing much pain and pressed into my spinal cord. I had the surgery in April and am post op a little over 3 months. I wore a soft cervical collar for almost 3 months because of the severity of the spinal compression. I have been released and the bone is fusing as it should. I never took pain meds, muscle relaxers etc after surgery. Just Tylenol until I was able to take Advil or aleve. I am wanting to see if there is someone who has had the dizziness or something similar. I feel very alone in trying to explain this to friends and family as they never understood. I know that the disc was also pressed badly on a nerve. I am still having nerve pain and neuro said it could take up to two years to fully heal. I understand all of that but I have recently become dizzy again. It was better after surgery initially so now my question is this just part of my body healing and things get worse before they get better?? Any advice or comments would be appreciated!!!

ACDF surgery 4/25/2014 C6-C7
Off balance/dizziness since 2009

• spineanxioussspineanxious Posts: 19
    edited 08/04/2014 - 4:41 PM
    Dear Karen, I'm sorry to hear you are still having difficulties with dizziness after surgery. I'm sending you many good wishes of recovery.

I know exactly what you mean about people having difficulty understanding this issue. In my case, I had an injury that caused a 50% spinal cord compression and my immediate symptom (among many others) was dizziness.

Prior to my surgery I, too, experienced things moving when I am not, without any spinning at all. The ENT I saw couldn't find anything wrong with me. My neurosurgeon did mention that it is possible that dizziness is caused by my condition, but he would not commit to explanation of this phenomena's mechanics. The dizziness would come and go, usually when i was being active. Oh, and I also had a very pleasant facial numbness no one could really place.

Anyway, I had the surgery within 2.5 month of the onset of my symptoms. It's been 6 weeks now and the dizziness did go away. I don't know if it will come back, as other symptoms did make an appearance around week 3 before subsiding again right about now. Everyone is different in their timeline, so if your damage was substantial, it's very likely that it will take a lot longer.

I'm not a doctor, but from what i've read on this forum it's many people's experience that symptoms make re-appearance before healing. I hope that is the case.

Be well!
  • Thanks so much for responding. It is so frustrating at times. I am back working full time and patience isn't a virtue for me but I have been trying to be patient. To top it off it is making me anxious. I have so many different nerves firing off in different places that it becomes overwhelming and makes me panic. I know all will be better but it's a hard place to be!! Thanks for your kind words of encouragement!!!

ACDF surgery 4/25/2014 C6-C7
    Off balance/dizziness since 2009