Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiology Reports

I know we are not allowed to interpret Radiology Reports, but I just have a question. I recently had a CT scan of my Lumbar Spine. I am post A/P Lumbar fusion at L4/5 with cage. rods and screws. The Radiologist stated that I had multi- level Central Canal Stenosis and moderate Lateral Recess Stenosis. Most of the levels were called, " Moderate." Some were called, " Upwards From Moderate," What exactly is upwards from moderate? Is there a standard which Radiologists determine, mild, moderate, severe stenosis? Or is it just the Radiologist's call?

Also, on this report, It was stated that I had vacuum phenomena at the L4/5 disc space. I think this must be a typing error. I have the cage/spacer and had the A/P fusion with all the hardware done at this level. The fusion was done in 2012, although, I never obtained pain relief from the surgery.

Just asking if anyone has any knowledge of how they make their determination. Thanks.
Take care and God Bless,
Mary Anne

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    heard of either
    Upwards from Moderate
    Vacuum Phenomena

The upwards is puzzling. Like you said Upward from Moderate equals what = Severe???

That is something you got to get an answer from your doctor on
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I also have the vaccuum phenomena in my reports as well. And I am still not sure what it means. Upwards of moderate simply means that the condition does not mean the criteria of severe yet, but it is more than a moderate amount.....
  • Thanks so much for your answers. I was still wondering, how do different radiologists interpret moderate, mild, severe, etc? Do they use a standard measurement or is it different accordingly to the doctor reading the films.
    I guess they compare the current films to your previous MRI or CT scan to see if your stenosis is progressing, also. It did mention that it was. I am only 2 years out of a 360 fusion, with BMP on L4/5 and this is all bone spurs on the adjacent segments.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • There is a scale, if you search on the radiology websites, you can read about references to various scales used in determining spine issues.
    I think that the school that the radiologists go to also influences which scales they use. http://www.asnr.org/spine_nomenclature/introduction.shtml
  • Hi Sandi,

Thanks so much. Everything I've read said it is subjective from doctor to doctor, also.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 09/19/2014 - 6:24 AM
    There are average measurements of the average diameters of foramina and canals taken amongst various populations, that are used as the basis for the scales , so ranges of diameters are used , for determining where the measurements fit into those averages.
    Each level of the spine has a reference range.....
  • is an air bubble inside the vertebra for lack of a better way of describing it.
  • So, Vacuum Phenomenoa really has nothing to do with the disc space or stenosis. Although. my CT Scan said my disc height was decreased at this level. It is just a common finding on the vertebrae, like Schmorl's nodes. I have plenty of them.
    I couldn't understand because I was fused at that site.

However, my walking, leg weakness is deteriorating, R foot drop is progressing to the point that my doctor advised me to get a walker last week. I just had an caudal last week and am going to try physical therapy next month.

For the last 2 years, I thought I had a cage. I found out they used Infuse last Spring. Now, I just found out the surgeons who did my 360 fusion never used a cage. Has anyone else received Infuse without a cage?

I am wondering if the cancer risk is higher .

Take care,
    Mary Anne

Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • I have it in both the vertebra and in the disc space where the fusion failed to complete......so I have to assume that it can effect disc space height. I meant to ask when it was seen on the last report, but with all of the other stuff going on in mine, I completely forgot to.
This discussion has been closed.