Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moving south, can I get my meds in Florida or Georgia?

My wife and I are leaving New Jersey, and are looking at places in the south eastern states. I went to Florida last year, had my prescription with me (four 30mg Oxycodone per day), and when I went to a CVS in Florida, they told me that there was no way I could get that prescription filled anywhere in Florida. It was explained to me that there was so much abuse of these particular pills in Florida, that they are now just about impossible to get.

So, because of this, we can't move to Florida. My question is, is it the same in other states? I know here in New Jersey, it has gotten harder and herder to get my prescription, most pain management docs won't even prescribe them any more. When I do get my script, I end up driving to up to 14 different pharmacies sometimes before I can find them. This is because each pharmacy gets a certain amount every month, and when they sell them all, they can't get any more until the next month. Just a couple of months ago, even the way I get my prescription was changed, I can't even get a monthly prescription any more, I have to go every two weeks. What a pain in the neck! Or actually, the back.

It sucks that where we move is now being dictated on whether or not I can get my pain meds or not, but that's just the way it is. Is there anyone on this forum from Georgia, South Carolina, or states nearby, that are on the same pain meds? And if so, how hard is it to get them? I read recently that there is some kind of petition in Florida trying to get the law changed so people who need these meds can get them, but I can't wait on that.

Also, I am ex-military, and am currently trying to get my meds through the local VA hospital. I have an appointment this month, if everything works out and I can get them through the VA, I wonder if I could get a house in Florida near a VA Hospital or military base, and possibly just get them there. If anyone has info on this, it would be most appreciated.

• While it is difficult in some states, the most important part of being able to get your meds is dealing with one pharmacy, getting to know the pharmacist, and establishing a relationship. A referral from your current pm doctor, detailing your treatment, and meds tried previously helps with establishing your relationship with another doctor, and finding a small mom and pop pharmacy seems to help in having regular access to your medications.