Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L2 Fixation with L2 thru L5 posterior & lateral fusion for DDD & Adult Scoliosis

Hi everyone,

While I've been reading user posts for a couple months, I've never posted here before. I'm a 57 year old female with a twenty year history of lumbar pain. I've been getting MRI's about every two years, for those twenty years. Each time, the DDD gets worse. About four years ago I was told that, in addition to the four levels of herniated disks, stenosis, bone spurs and tarlov cysts, that I also had a slight curvature in my lumbar region.

Well, after going without insurance for awhile, I was finally able to get back on track with exams and tests and have found that things have gotten much worse. The curve is scarey bad now, and my discs are a total mess.

I've seen two top surgeons, both in the same practice and been told that I have adult degenerative scoliosis along with all the other nasty stuff. The first surgeon warned me that others would want to perform extensive surgery and he strongly advised against that. Still, he referred me two a younger surgeon in that practice who specializes in deformities of the spine.

This surgeon told me that I need to have L2 Fixation along with L2 through L5 Fusion done both posterior and lateral. He warned me of the dangers of this surgery, including the danger of not being able to walk if either one of two separate nerves is damaged during the procedure. He said that he can't tell me that it will relieve my back pain, but would improve my quality of life.

I thought I was ready to face surgery head on, that was until I learned what an extensive surgery I'd need. Now I'm scared and confused. I'd appreciate the opinion of anyone in Spine Health Land that has been through a similar surgery, or elected not to have the surgery.