Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatica back 2 years after spinal fusion

After having sciatica for a very long time I had a decompression and fusion of L5/S1 2 years ago and have not been in good health since with extreme lower back pain and pain in my legs.
The Sciatica went from having the operation but this weekend it has returned with a vengeance!
I am in so much pain and really struggling to cope.....has anyone else had this happen and what treatment were you given for this? Surgery? Acupuncture? Injections?

I have called my GP and he has referred me back to my surgeon but I think he will probably just say there is nothing he can do as he wasn't accepting of the fact that I have been in pain since the surgery anyway.
What have your experiences been with this?

• If you don't have a pain management doc, you need one! They will most likely try some steroids first to see if it can calm the nerves down. There are also other treatment options they have before you have to go back to the surgeon.

I've been having trouble with sciatica again as well and the last series of shots (IM) helped tremendously.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 08/06/2014 - 2:24 AM
    Have you had a recent MRI? If your last one was two years ago, it's possible that things have changed. Have you been treated for your ongoing pain? Hopefully you get some answers at your upcoming appointment. I would ask about repeating the MRI if you haven't already. Treatment can vary depending on your current diagnosis.

Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I am on a cocktail of drugs including Tapentadol, morphine, Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, Pregabalin, and others and nothing is touching this pain. I know there is no other drug I can take due to what I am already on and I have a pain management doctor yes
  • .......and I meant to say, I have Spondylolisthesis, spondylosis, Stenosis and Fibromyalgia so this is why they say I am in so much pain (prior to the sciatica returning)
  • Yep, sounds like a surgeon is in your future! Best of luck!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2