Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op pain...

so i am about 20 hours post op and resting at home, howvere, i wish i stayed over night because the vicodin isnt helping much especially after getting up to walk. ive also taken 500mg ibuprofen. anything else ohers find for incision sight pain? ik it will go down by tomorrow but hoping to cool it for today. advice/tricks?

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 08/06/2014 - 6:49 AM
    Were you not given post op instructions and restrictions? If you want this surgery to turn out well, you need to follow those instructions to the letter. Walking too much, too soon, pushing through this recovery period is not the smart thing to do.
    Ice is commonly used for post op swelling and pain, and should be applied for 15 minutes on and then off for an hour.
    Were you cleared by the surgeon to take ibuprofen? Most surgeons don't want patients taking ibuprofen immediately post op due to the chances of it causing increased bleeding......
  • hawk057hhawk057 Posts: 76
    edited 08/06/2014 - 7:17 AM
    Yes I was given instructions and have been following them. Woke up every 4 hours during the night to take the pk as instructed, woke at 10 got up and pee'd and walked for about 10-15 minutes but had to lay back down. I have been getting up(with help) as instructed. But the only pain instructions were to take vicodin 1x every 4 hours and ibuprofen is optional 3 hours after taking the vicodin. I am actually on a blood thinner for previous clots so dont think they were worried about that but it is a non asprin ibuprofen. My vicodin is 5/325 1 every 4 hours.
  • a blood thinning Too much blood thinning medication can cause problems. I would put that on your list of questions for him, along with how much walking, and other activity restrictions you are supposed to be following.
    This is the hard part of surgery, following the limitations post op......but as I said to you in the other thread, doing too much , too soon, can ruin the surgery and you don't want that. The only thing that you should be doing now, is resting, alternating walking for short distances and slowly, slowly increasing it over the next 6 weeks......sittting is usually limited to meals and no more than 15 minutes at a time every few hours.
  • I had a laminectomy/discetomy at L4 L5 S1!on July 30th.
    Was recovering just fine until Tuesday afternoon...excruciating pain, went to ER last night as I couldn't take it anymore. Was given ultrasound to rule out blood clot...all good there. MRI next shows nerve roots are inflamed. Morphine hasn't touched the pain, dilaudid helped a little. They sent me home with dilaudid and said to call surgeon office, I'm awaiting their phone call. Anyone have any ideas? I can't take this pain anymore. HELP
    Discetomy 7/30/14
    L4 L5 S1
  • http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Why did you not contact your surgeon's office if you were having problems? Nerve pain commonly flares up post op, and your surgeon may want to give you a steroid dose pack to bring down the inflammation. If you have not heard back from your surgeon's office, you need to contact them again to go in and be seen .
  • Hoping they call back soon, or I'll be back in the ER
    Discetomy 7/30/14
    L4 L5 S1
  • they can not help you with post op pain. They are going to refer you back to the surgeon.
    Call the office and explain that you were seen in the ER , they did an MRI and you need an emergent appointment.
  • I already have done that and the ER Dr called last night and spoke with his nurse. Still waiting
    Discetomy 7/30/14
    L4 L5 S1