Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Level Anterior Cervical Disectomy

Hi all;

I am planning to have surgery in the near future to fix my neck - C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7, C7-C8 (a lot of compression issues). I have been to see 2 doctors so far and they have both recommended the surgery, but their methods differ. The first plans to use bone to repair my spine (cadaver bone). The second recommended using titanium. My main concerns are the longevity of both, and the range of motion after healing. Has anyone had this many vertebrae done at once using either of those methods? If so, what were the results that you had?

Are there any other options out there?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I've had both, titanium & cadaver bone my last fusion of C2 down to T3 posterior. In 2007 I had C4 thru C7 done both anterior and posterior (360) corpectomy, discectomy, cage, strut, plates, rods, screws, and bmp and both fusions were successful.
  • rahvynrrahvyn Posts: 2
    edited 08/06/2014 - 4:05 PM
    Hi Ranger. Thanks for the reply. What is your range of motion like?
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    After my C4 thru C6 fusion I still had quite a bit of ROM (range of motion) both side to side and up and down still being able to touch my chin on my chest. After this past fusion my up and down motion is limited and have been warned by my surgeon not to even attempt to touch my chin to my chest. Side side is also less now but I still have some side to side ROM due to C1-C2 is not fused.
  • I had done 6/25/13. Allowgraft and autograft. Titanium rods and screws. BMP 2 and somekind of matrix system, after year follow up 6 more months. I wore a hard collar for 3 months 24/7 and also bone stimulator for 9 months. I never took collar off except to change pad and I bought 2 extra sets so they could washed and dried. After weaning off collar finally completely out of collar. Oct. 3 2013. Then 2 1/2 months of intense physical therapy. Range of motion more then I anticipated. Any questions you are welcome to PM me and I may be able to answer your questions. Good luck.