Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long...

How long did it take for your incision site pain to die down? I was told that today(day after surgery) would be the worst. How long does it typically last(ball park)? I have a dr appt(for something other than my surgery) friday early morning but will postpone if I am having much pain.

• It can take a week or two, depending on the type of surgery you had. Are you using ice on the incision? Wrap it in a small towel , 15 minutes on and then off for an hour.
    Do not postpone your follow up appointments, they are scheduled at certain times for a reason, to ensure that there are no infections, to check to make sure that incision is healing well, and to check for any issues.
  • hawk057hhawk057 Posts: 76
    edited 08/07/2014 - 4:33 AM
    yes using ice. and it isnt a surgery related appt
  • There was supposed to be a second question on this, it didnt save it...

How long will the constipation from pain meds last(was only told to take colace - doesnt help)? And when should I worry and call the dr?

• Colace, eating green, leafy vegetables, fiber ( metamucil), prunes or prune juice.....the anesthesia and paralytics used during surgery slow your gastrointestinal system down.......that combined with the opiates slows things down even further. Lots of water, all help to get things moving again.
    If you are concerned, contact your surgeons office for more instructions.

• Having a very slow system, post surgery was a nightmare for me. I took 2 Phillips tabs and 1 exlax. That was the only thing that worked for me.
  • I've only had one since the surgery even though I feel bloated(colace i assume) I just fear straining too hard and causing issues with the area worked on. Taking a few laxatives a day as well as colace and fiber pills, drinking about 5 bottles of water a day and cut back on the pain pills.