Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long after 360 (ALIF/PLIF) should I expect sitting?

I had 360 ALIF/PLIF for my L5 herniated/degenerative disc issues on July 3rd. So far, I believe the healing process is going normally and I'm able to walk and stand and take showers, etc. One thing that is still incredibly difficult for me, though, is sitting. I can't sit down for more than 10-15 minutes max without deep, dull pain (or in some cases, shooting nerve pains). Basically, I don't sit unless it's just for a few minutes and then I know to get back up.

How long should I expect this to last? Will I build tolerance and eventually be able to sit again? I'm in a wedding in October which will require flying, and right now I can't even imagine how I would sit on a plane for 2 hours. Can anyone share their experience(s) re: sitting tolerance?

360 Spinal Fusion (ALIF/PLIF) 7/3/2014

• Usually , post surgery, the doctors recommend limiting your sitting time to no more than 15 minutes at a time , mulitple times per day, usually meals at first, then increasing the time/frequency once you hit the 6 week mark.
    Sitting was one of the difficult aspects of recovery and I found sitting on a hard chair much easier than sitting on a soft recliner type......and the use of a cushion or pad helped to ease some of the discomfort.
  • I cannot stand very long without legs/feet going to sleep. I use my walker so I can still do the walking needed for recovery but can't go very far distances. Like I've mentioned in other posts I've developed fluid buildup (painful swollen lumps behind my knees and my ankles). Scheduled for the CT myleography next Wednesday to get to the bottom of this. Twice I've awoken to use the restroom and had no feeling that both legs /feet were asleep so proceeded to get up as normal and luckily fell back onto the soft bed. Not sure, surgeon has several ideas but obviously will know more after scans.
    Grade 1 Anterolisthesis/Spondy L5/S1 with Modic changes and mild disc protrusion, DDD, Osteoarthritis L2/L3, Stenosis, Sciatica, Herniation L4/L5. Scheduled for 360 spinal fusion/decompression July 1, 2014.