Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5/C6 foraminotomy in 2 weeks - your story please!

Hello y'all!!!

In a nutshell: I have left arm radiculopathy due to c5/c6 disk herniation. It's only to the left side so my doc suggested to try a posterior foraminotomy. Yes, there is a 5-10% chance I'll need a fusion down the road, but 90-95% chance this will fix it.
I'm a 30 year old, female weightlifter and while I had to cut back a lot on training over the last 6 months I believe I am still in pretty good shape and very healthy. I'm nervous about he recovery because it sounds like it will at least add another 3 months of no lifting...
Over the last month, while waiting for surgery approval (8/19 is the day), my symptoms have improved quite a bit. I still have weakness in my arm and esp. shoulder but I can sleep and do many activities again, such as rowing, however, intensity is way lower than it used to and I guess part of it may be mental.
Every now and then my shoulder, elbow,and wrist hurt. Also I have some triceps pain. My shoulder range of motion is still limited. If I wasn't a weightlifter is probably cancel surgery. But I need my sport back in my life.

I wonder if the fact that my symptoms are already improving, this might impact my recovery positively?! I understand the first 6 weeks to be recovery for the sutures more than the condition but has anyone experienced a rapid recovery? When can you start body weight movements such as airsquats, planks, push ups, pullups etc? My doc said light activity is allowed after 6 weeks - would you (who had this procedure) agree with that? Btw, my surgeon follows the protocol of an athlete for me.

I understand everyone is different but I am interested in your stories with a ONE LEVEL CERVICAL POSTERIOR FORAMINOTOMY!
C5/C6 herniation
Radiculopathy left arm
Posterior foraminotomy 8/19/2014