Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gabapentin -- my experience so far

Last week I was prescribed 300 mg Neurontin x 3 time a day -- I haven't even hit full dosage yet and today I feel incredible. Today is the first day I've had in 7 months with little to zero pain. The feeling of actual relief is overwhelming. Since my initial disc herniation, my pain has usually fluctuated from highly uncomfortable to intense to finally, sometimes, totally unbearable. The one constant however that the pain was always present, 24 hours a day.

Its hard to describe how GOOD it feels to just feel normal. Its like I'm floating in peaceful, blissful tank of..normality. The shift from pain to non-pain could not be described as anything other than euphoric.

I slept the entire night last night without waking up a single time. No tossing and turning. No waking up with the feeling that my arm/neck/shoulder blade were being crushed in a vice or stabbed by a knife. Just restful, dreamless sleep.

All I have to say is WOW.

If any of you are suffering intense nerve/referred pain from herniated discs in your neck/spine this medication is absolutely worth asking your doctor about. Using this, I see a possible way to postpone surgery for as long as possible and maybe, possibly get my life back.

• Like claydoh I am on Gabapentin but a slightly stronger dosage of 600 mg x 3 times a day and it certainly helps with my nerve pains. Had surgery in December 2013 from C2 to T3 and very slowly recovering from same. My previous Spine operations include L4/5/S1 in December 2008 - ACDF C3/4/5 in September 2010 - Posterior CDF C5/6/7 in December 2011 which had to be redone 3 days later as screws etc had all become loose! - was in extreme pain for considerable period and had to wait some 14 months before C2 to T3 was done. Here in UK we have NHS and do not need to pay for operations so we are indeed very lucky. Hope you continue to have good fortune with Gabapentin.
  • I am also taking Gabapentin (neurontin) 600 mg 4 times a day. It helps to diminish the nerve pain but unfortunately does not get rid of it completely. The nerve pain would be unbearable without it and I hope you continue to have such good benefit from it.

Passenger in car accident 1968, head, neck, back and knee injuries. Suffered many years with pain, muscle spasms and headaches. Tried physical therapy, acupuncture, acupressure, massage and exercises. Couldn't use anti inflammatory meds as I am allergic so finally had L3-4-5 laminectomy in 2002, followed by discectomy in 2011 had complications of ruptured disc and hematoma in spinal cord and needed another discectomy and hematoma/ruptured disc clean out 2 days later. The disc ruptured again but I had to wait 7 months to heal from the other surgeries before having a 360 degree fusion at L3-4-5-S1.