Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5, S1 herniated, drop foot, very discouraged, why does leg feel like jello when i try to walk?

bindereabbinderea Posts: 31
I am a 64 y/o woman who keeps falling apart! I had a 2-staged TLIF last Dec. My entire lumbar spine was fused, with the exception of the bottom vertabra. It had auto-fused so neurosurgeon left it untouched. I spent 10 agonizing days in the hospital,(they couldn't control my pain) then 3 weeks in a rehab center. I am now fully fused....all was great until the third week of May.
I was awakened during the night with a very weird cramped feeling in my right leg. By morning, my leg was burning.. went to ER. They prescribed pain pills. Next day, same thing. But the next day, pain was gone but my foot and right side of calf went numb. Awful to walk! I went back to neurosurgeon. He ordered mylogram, epidural and EMG. Mylogram showed very small herniation. Have been going to PT. Had epidural. I have more strength in my leg but still numb. My calf muscle has atrophied and is 2" smaller than the left one. I have EMG scheduled for Aug 22.
I am so tired of this. Have severe back pain. (I imagine from walking funny?)
I really feel like another fusion is in my near future. I have a very important question. Is a 1-level fusion difficult to recover from? Is the pain controllable? How long were you hospitalized? I am afraid of that pain happening again, like in Dec
Almost forgot my big ? Why does my leg feel like jello when I try to walk correctly?
Thank you for listening.
Ellen Arnel

• While we can't answer specifics, in general, when there is a herniation and it is in contact with the nerves in the canal or foramen, where the nerve roots exit between the levels, it can cause the symptoms you are having.
    Once you have the emg, and the imaging done, your surgeon will be able to tell you more and determine what, if anything needs to be done.
    I will tell you this much, as far as my first PLIF/TLIF surgery went, and the pain levels were astronomical, my second revision surgery was not nearly as bad pain wise.