Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My journey so far

Hi All,

I have not posted my progress much after being released from the hospital and inpatient rehab in early May so I wanted to give an update. My progress is very slow but my period of complications seems to be over....I have started PT and I am off of prednisone I was put on to stop the swelling that occurred back in May.

I saw my surgeon this week and he let me know that my pars interarticularis bone has fully bridged! Now it is a matter of continuing to harden over the next 18 months.

Due to being bed ridden for approximately 4.5 months total pre and post surgery, I still have a long battle to getting back to "normal", whatever that is I have forgotten by now. :)

But some minor milestones this week:
1) for the first time since March 21st I shaved my legs (I know the ladies will appreciate how insanely awesome this is--no more nair, woo-hoo!)
2) I actually got in the car without going "butt first". Holy man!
3) I went out to run an errand of some type 4 days in a row....granted it takes me forever and the errands to not involve leaving my vehicle until I get back home, but still--it is out of my house!!!!

I just wanted to share this so for the ones completely bed-ridden waiting for things to get better, the road may be looong and slow....but I am slowly getting better and you will too.
Bilateral pars defect L5

• I am so glad you are experiences these seemingly small victories that we, other spinies can fully appreciate. Continue with your successful recovery. Wishing you the best!

• Hey, these are big accomplishments, glad you are getting closer to "normal"! I had my surgery on July 3rd and could finally sit in a chair long enough to get a quickie pedicure -- I can't tell you how good that felt to be able to handle it (and not to have wonky looking toes)! LOL!

I can see my stamina/endurance increasing little bits at a time, so even if I'm moving at turtle pace it helps me remember I won't be at this turtle pace forever! Best of luck to you as you continue to heal! Thanks for sharing!

360 Spinal Fusion (ALIF/PLIF) 7/3/2014
  • I totally appreciate you both and it is nice and comforting to know that other's understand how big the little things are. :)
    Bilateral pars defect L5