Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Percutaneous discectomy - has anyone tried this?

MegTalVMMegTalV Posts: 5
edited 08/09/2014 - 6:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My doctor has recommended that we try a percutaneous discectomy before I go for a micro discectomy. This was the first time I had ever heard of this procedure. I am thinking that I will probably try it but wanted to know if anyone has had success with this themselves? Or, did you try it and it did not help?

• PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 08/09/2014 - 10:17 AM
    I had it done. Twice!
    It worked great for me. Only two small perforations were made on my side. No stitches were needed to close, just two band aids. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I needed it.

I would try this approach before the other version where they use dilators and a window in the bone to access the disc. Much less collateral damage. The trade off is that the surgeon cannot directly see straight into the disc with his own eyes. He must rely on a flexible camera scope and flouroscopy to see where inside the body the instrumentation is.

However, you should specifically ask the surgeon about the approach and which specific structures will be altered or touched.

Also, specifically ask what nucleus material will be pulled out and from where. Because it could be that they grasp out the extruded nucleus material that breached the annulus or they could leave it untouched and make a new breach in the annulus and go thru it to pull out non-extruded nucleus material (which in theory, makes more room).
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I went with the Microdiscectomy and found it was really no big deal with a quick and easy recovery. I believe that percutaneous discectomy can only be used on certain circumstances. I asked my surgeon about having an endoscopic discectomy and he seemed to thing microdiscectomy was the way to go. I would have preferred having a procedure done under local anesthesia as I had to be put under for my microdiscectomy.
    microdiscectomy 7-2014