Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdistectomy L5S1

royalrooterrroyalrooter Posts: 15
edited 08/09/2014 - 5:38 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Had a micro on L5 S1 on 7/31/14. Surgeon said it was in a good location and was easy to repair. Had a bout of this back in 08 and 1 EPI took care of it. It started to flare up on me in February of this year and I tried to do my own treatment of rest, ice light stretching etc. It somewhat improved for awhile and then when I gradually started to increase my activities it started to get worse. 4 weeks of PT followed with little or no improvement so off to the MRI and 2 EPI's. The first EPI worked for about 4 weeks where I got the pain down to about a 2 but as soon as I did any kind of activity it started back up again. The second EPI did nothing. I just couldn't get rid of the pain and was fearful of all the stories about nerve damage if not taken care of within 6 months so after consulting with 2 surgeons and being in my 5th month of this issue I decided to do it. I was scheduled to be at the clinic at 7 am and was out by 10:30 am. I immediately noticed the leg pain was missing and thinking the medication was the cause I was surprised the next day when I still had no leg/nerve pain. The only pain I had was from the incision in my back so I went out and walked very slowly for a half mile and have continued to increase my distance until today I did a brisk 3 mile walk in about 45 minutes. Still no leg pain and the back pain from the incision is disappearing also. I play a lot of slow pitch softball, golf and like to go to the gym 3 or 4 times per week. I was told not to bend, twist or lift anything over 5 lbs. for the first 2 weeks. So far so good. Seeing the Dr for my 2 week check up this week and not sure of what the next step will be. I've read a lot of different viewpoints on what to do and when to do it but I really would like to be back playing softball by the end of Sept for an annual charity tournament I have been involved with for 10 years but not sure when the bend, twist or lifting ban will be off. Note: I also don't want to re-herniate either. I was in reasonably good shape before the surgery and tried to do the Mckenzies and core strengthening several times a day as the pain permitted so the muscles wouldn't atrophy. What has anyone done to improve the effectiveness of their recovery from this type of surgery?