Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Week after a discectomy/lamenectomy

lisa7150llisa7150 Posts: 1
edited 08/10/2014 - 12:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm new here I am 5 days post discecromy/lamenectomy at the L4-5
I just wanted to ask if anyone has had this
The pain is worse now then it was before surgery
The pain meds aren't helping I've been on these
Meds for 9 monthes this is a work comp injury
And had to go to court to have the surgery approved
So I was having to go to a pain clinic for pain management
Till surgery so because I was on these meds for so long
They don't help even in the hospital the morphine
Through the Iv wasn't helping. The pain is bad it feels like
My back got cut open I have to walk with a walker
I still have the pain and weakness in my leg
The dr did say it was not a garentee that it was gonna
Work my nerve was crushed for so long that it may
Not come back and so far it hasn't I'm hoping that
As my body heals that it'll get better anyone
Have advice

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    I'm no dr, but researching discectomy surgery, as I am scheduled for one at L5/S1 in a few weeks. I think it is way too soon to tell if things are not going to get any better, just follow post-op instructions carefully, do the exercises fauthfully, and hopefully things will start to turn around. Don't give up hope just yet! All the best to you!
  • I had a L4/L5 microdiscectomy on Friday ,,, had bad back for few days then pain shooting in my buttocks leg and foot and numbness also developed a foot drop,, got all this 2 months ago went a and e but didn't send me for mri straight away until 2 weeks later when I demanded to be seen again by someone,, I was told on week 8 what was wrong with me by my surgeon were I got transferred to that my foot was now paralysed and won't recover has my own hospital had left it to late to sort it all out,,,,, had surgery to relieve pains in leg,,, went well was in pain and still am but morphine is helping a lot also on meds for nerve pain in foot, still no use in my foot but early days,, hoping my surgeon was wrong about it being paralysed and to late to save it only time will tell,,, have to have rehabilitation in future on my foot and start to wear a splint have to use crutches,,, I was so nervous about surgery my first time,, it was more being put to sleep than the surgery itself, but I had nothing to worry about they were great,,,, I haven't worked since I went to a and e but I can't walk proper and far without pain,, let's see if this surgery helps in the next couple of moths, but I can't see me being v
    Back at work till at least another few more months yet,, see how I go,,,,,