Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To fuse or not to fuse? that is the question.

Laminectomy L4-L5 and L5-S1 in 2001
Now:48 yo group fitness (yoga/Pilates/indoor cycling) instructor--10 lbs overweight
MRI from Aug 2013 indicates stenosis, herniation to the left at L5-S1, spondylolisthesis grade 1@L4-L5, annular tear and slight bulge at L3-L4

I felt great after 2001 laminectomy, but in the past 5 years have had episodes of my back going out. A yearly transforaminal cortisone shot fixed me up nicely. Even with all the issues documented in last year's MRI, I was asymptomatic with no real pain--only fatigue in my back after prolonged standing or walking. I did however quit running and weight lifting last year. This past Feb, I felt right groin pain after shoveling snow (I know, dumb.). I stopped and tried to baby my back but felt the injury flare up after and during yoga and Pilates and if I carried things in front of me. In June, the day after cycling a hilly 60 miles, I was at my desk at work, turned to face my computer and actually felt my disc herniate. Now I have slight lower back pain with nerve pain radiating down my right butt cheek, down outer hip/thigh and outer leg to ankle. It only hurts in certain seated positions or if I stand. I can only stand for a couple of minutes without wanting to walk or lean against a wall and I can only walk for short periods (30 min or so) without having more leg nerve pain and really bad soreness in my back, especially upon bending. Felt a bit better after 1 cortisone shot but it only took off the unbearable pain. I am also a HS English teacher and I fear going back to school in a couple weeks. Two docs recommended 2 level fusion and the other wanted to do 3 levels but said it was up to me to try yoga, inversion therapy, PT, etc. What is an EMG? What info does it provide? One doc said I had diminished reflexes in left leg but I disagree. I feel fine on the left side--the right side hurts. Granted one way of sitting that alleviates the right leg pain causes numbness in the left leg but that is only if I cause it to happen. I am still strong and can do balance yoga poses with just a slightly diminished range of motion upon side bending to the right. Otherwise I am still my ultraflexible self. My fears are these:
1. Will I be able to teach or even practice yoga after a two level fusion?
2. Am I being hasty deciding on surgery or am I endangering my health by waiting?
3. Is the devil I know (leg and back pain that makes me crabby and depressed and unable to enjoy doing the things I love--walking, shopping, living a pain free life) better than the devil I don't know?

Any advice, support would be appreciated. It actually feels better just getting my story down in writing! :)
L4-5 and L5-S1 laminectomy 2001
now bulge @ L3-4, spondylolisthesis grade 1 @ L4-L5, new herniation @ L5-S1