Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-Op Microdiscectomy

Hello everyone. My name is Jamie. I would like to give you an introductory before asking for advice.
It all started 2 days after I got married. My back went out completely and it was not because of sex just so y'all know that. I couldnt function. I couldnt move without screaming in pain. It would literally take me a few minutes just to get on my feet. My poor husband had to help me when we should have been enjoying being newlyweds!
So I had made a doctors appointment and when I went...all they said was the pain should subside in a few days, gave me some norco and sent me on my way. It was like they didnt believe me! After 2 weeks, the pain was still there and maybe worse. At that time, i was poor and had county insurance through the state of california. So it seemed like drs didnt want to deal with me at all. So I kept at making drs appointments telling them its not getting better and I cant function daily. So they finally ordered an MRI but it was 4 months away because the appt had to be at a nearby hospital since the drs office I went to was ill-equipped!
There was one day at work when I screamed when I tried to sit down. I was told to go to the ER which I had already done countless times by now. (At this time it was 4 months since my back went out) So I went to the ER and finally had talked to a dr who would listen to me. They gave me the MRI and finally got a diagnosis! I had a herniated disc, a bulged disc, a cyst, and told me my spine was compressing so it was giving me major sciatica pain! Well hallelujah, a diagnosis! They gave me a referral to a neurosurgeon right away. However, at this time, it was close to January where Obamacare came in to play. My insurance would be changing to MediCal. You would think this would be a good thing for me but in a way it wasnt. Only because I had to wait for my insurance to approve the referral before even seeing the neurosurgeon!!!
At this time, I'm waiting 8 whole months just for this appointment. And during that time, the dr kept upping my medication just so I can function a little bit more. I had to go on disability because some days, I couldnt move. I couldnt work some days and everyday was hell for me.
It wasnt until this past May, my insurance finally approved my referral and made the appt right away to see the neurosurgeon!! Was so angry/relieved/frustrated but kept trying to stay positive.
At my neurosurgery appt, the doctor reviewed my MRI and immediately told me I was a good candidate for surgery. The surgery date was set for August and I looked forward to feeling somewhat normal one day!
So now, one year and a month later, I had my surgery this past Thursday the 7th. Its only been 4 days since they did the microdiscectomy on L5/S1. I know its going to be awhile til I heal. My problem is that my hips hurt like crazy. I cant sleep on my back so I find myself falling asleep on my side but then my hips hurt so bad that it hurts too bad to even walk at all. Did anyone have that sensation? I mean, I'm still walking as much as my body allows me to but I also get these shooting pains in my buttock and all the way down to my feet. Its a different pain than before the surgery.
Im glad theres a forum out there where I can talk to someone whos been in the same situation. So any advice on what to do/what not to do is welcomed.
I also wanted to ask anyone if they had staples and how they handled bathing. Im so scared to take my gauze off and get it caught on my clothing or something! Any advice on that? Thank you for listening!
Jamie Huddleston