Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For all of you scared before Anterior Lumbar Interbody fusion

KeegurKKeegur Posts: 10
edited 08/11/2014 - 2:35 PM in Lower Back Pain
So at the age of 14 i had a herniated and bulging disc l5-s1, i deLt with the pain until it became debilitating and no longer able to even stand up( age of 20) I then got steroid injections and prescribed almost every medicine possible, i forced myself to live and work as long as possible, which got me to the age of 23 which at this point i then had disc degeneration, from l4-s1 and scoliosis. As well as narrowing of the root canal mild.

It is now 4 days after the multilevel anterior lumbar Interbody fusion. I have been in major pain in the stomach where the entry point wAs, approximately 7-8 inches long about an inch below the belly button, right about the waist line.But everyday is like a miracle, i no longer have foot drop and am gaining muscle strength in my right leg at least back equal with the left leg. i still have back pain as of now but much more mild, but the surgeon says hopefully thats will go away as it heals, theres titanium screws and cage in my back so you would expect some pain as thats not normally there. I can stand up and walk to the bathroom and walk up and down stairs almost better than before the surgery already. I wish i didn't wait this long to have this done but at my age the doctors were trying to do anything other than surgery.

The best thing that has happened to me , ive had back pain for as long as i can remember.
It is a rough first two days after, the pain in your stomach and back can be dealt with because you will be overnight at the hospital for a few days, i had surgery at 9 30 am friday and was out of surgery by 330. I was off of IV only 24 hrs after, and drinkin water saturday evening, solid food sunday morning and discharged by 2pm sunday.

This isnt that bad, please dont freak yourself out by reading all the complications over and over again. Its not worth it, you will start to have a smile on your face for the first time in a long time if you were truly in tons of pain. Everyone that has seen me says i look like a totally different person by just my facial expressions. I was prescribed 10mg percocets for months prior to the surgery and it never had me feeling this comfortable, taking only 10mgs of oxy after surgery and the pain is doable.

One major thing, It was not my bone graft it was a cadaver bone, What I've been told is that if they use your own bone,(hip or pelvic?) that site will be in pain for a long while as well.

• Now, you just have to follow all of the post op restrictions and limitations while your body heals. Expect that there will be setbacks along the way and that things will slowly improve as time passes.
    Speedy healing.
  • You brought tears to my eyes. So happy to hear of your great outcome. I have decided to wait and reassess the situation in June after the school year is over because I am a teacher. However, I know it is inevitable that I have it done soon. Would love to get my life back but I need to hit rock bottom before I risk it.
    L4-5 and L5-S1 laminectomy 2001
    now bulge @ L3-4, spondylolisthesis grade 1 @ L4-L5, new herniation @ L5-S1
  • I had sciatica a few years ago physio didn't work but chiro did pain is now back with a vengeance but chiro not working this time and I am terrified at the thought of surgery on my back . Does anyone have any suggestions or experience to share please
  • KeegurKKeegur Posts: 10
    edited 08/12/2014 - 6:04 PM
    mojo55 said:
    I had sciatica a few years ago physio didn't work but chiro did pain is now back with a vengeance but chiro not working this time and I am terrified at the thought of surgery on my back . Does anyone have any suggestions or experience to share please
    I went through a chiropractor when i was younger like age of 15-16 and when the pain hit me this time I knew there was no way i would even put myself through that, the bending and twisting then did to you was not going to fix my pain, it didn't fix it when i was younger so why now when its so much worse. I know the feeling of not being able to stand or walk, yea after about 2 minutes or 100 feet i would be in so much pain i just wanted to end it all, just kept telling myself that its not that bad and it will be fixed. IF you need surgery because you can't move then whats it hurting anyways. YOUR NOT LIVING YOUR LIFE, YOUR SURVIVING and thats not a way we anyone wants to live