Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post L4/L5 Discectomy Recovery

Hi there.

I'm 3 weeks today into my L4/L5 discectomy recovery. The surgery went well and I have no sciatica pain in my right my right leg which was very painful prior to surgery. The pain was gone as soon as I got up from surgery. The first 2 weeks were tough - a lot of lying around and taking medication as and when required. In week 3 there was a significant difference in my recovery. I was more mobile (walking 60 mins a day spread into 3 different times of the day), incision is pain free and doing my PT exercises 4 times daily.
I stopped taking co-codamol last week which I had been taking since January this year when my sciatica pain started. Since coming off the tablets my legs and arms are very restless whenI lying down especially when going to bed. It takes me 4 to 5 hours to switch off then I get about 2-3 hours sleep per night. I saw my doctor today who recommended to take start taking 2 co-codamols at night as it is a sign of withdrawal from the tablets and to stop once I become more active - has any one else had this? I have also started to experience pain (soreness and aching) in the left side of my lower back when standing or sitting for 30 mins. Once I ly down it goes away but comes back once I am on my feet again. However when I get up from lying down for more than 2 hours my left hamstring is very tight and achy. If i walk it is fine. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues? The restless legs and arms is a killer - stopping me sleeping and is now getting me down.

I am seeing my PT on Thursday so will see what advice she has.

• suddenly after you have been on it for some time can cause withdrawal. Tapering off the medication under the guidance of your physician is the right way to stop the medications and minimize the withdrawal symptoms such as restless legs and sleep issues.