Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Alternative Treatment...not too sure about this.

I recently saw a new "DR" (I think a DR of nutrition) and had quite a strange experience. Lying flat on my back the doc would have me raise my left arm straight in the air towards the ceiling and she would apply force in various directions while I pulled back to resist her force. Some areas I was able to hold the arm in position, some spots I wasn't able to hold the arm in position. So she says the spots that I can't hold back shows a sign of damage in the body. Then she would take a laser (just like a toy laser light you would find on a pen or in a childs toy) and rubs the red laser light on a scar or where an old fracture exsisted. After treating the scar with "cold laser theropy" she went through the same routine again making me point my arm straight in the air and she would pull outward while I tried to hold her back. Magically I was able to hold her back where I couldn't two minutes ago. However, I can tell that she's acting and the pull on the second time wasn't with much force. Not sure if all this makes sense, but it's hard to describe in writing.

Secondly, the doc has me lay flat on my stomach. She tells me to relax. She places one finger from her right hand on the top of my head and places one finger of her left hand on my back at the base of my spine, holding her fingers there for about one minute at a time and then re-adjusting placement a bit, moving to different spots. During this time my body starts to twitch quite a bit, kind of like when you're falling asleep but it's twitching every five to ten seconds. This goes on for about 20 minutes. And yes, I was starting to doze off so the twitching didn't really amaze me in any way either.

She explains that it's like my brain has become unplugged from my extremities and she's tried to re-connect the wires, using the example of an electrical circuit in your house. It's as if my breaker has flipped and she's trying to turn it back on so my brain will re-connect with my legs.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of treatment? It just seems to silly to me and I can't believe that a toy laser light rubbed on scars, old fractures, sprains, is really doing anything.

• I honestly don't know what to say to that "treatment". I would have my reservations about it too........maybe others will chime in with more helpful responses.
  • Did it help with the pain? I've never heard of that but I've tried some pretty 'out-there' things over the years. I say, if it helps do it! Why not? Ha ha ha. You never know! You know if it's a complete waste of money or not. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Was it a Naturopathic doctor? Or perhaps an osteopathic physician? A DO can do all that a MD does and practice in the same specialties but concentrate more on some hands on evaluation. What you describe sounds sort of like what a chiropractor once did in an evaluation.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I found out that the first session was "Applied Kinetics". Second session was "clay theorapy". The doctor ran her fingers along the muscles throughout my body looking for "weak spots" and applying clay. This lasted for an hour. She said that the clay will stir up toxins in the muscles and your body will release them through your urine. She said that I may hurt for two to three days because it's like stirring up a hornets nest, but in my case she was stirring up the toxins. Well, she was right. The next three days I had very high levels of pain. However, when I woke up today, the fourth day, I felt very good, my pain level was low, my mental state was relaxed and I just felt much better overall. In fact, I didn't take my first pain med until almost 9:30 which is pretty impressive because I usually can't make it 7:30 before I'm taking meds. When I did take my meds at 9:30 my pain level was still fairly low compared to the average day. I'll keep everyone updated as things progress.

SpineAZ - She is a Chiropractor, but doesn't really do that anymore. Now she focuses on these odd forms of pain theorapy. I've actually met several people that say she has relieved them of chronic pain. Actually, a cousin of mine was disabled since 2009 with Fibro but after seeing this doctor she has recently started back to work three days a week.