Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long for Radio Frequency Ablation to take effect?

JudiejJJudiej Posts: 9
edited 08/18/2014 - 6:30 AM in Pain Management
I have severe leg pain due to spinal stenosis. It started on the left. Had two steroid injections and the left has been basically pain free ever since. (Going on 3 months now) But when the right side started, it came out full bore. Tried the steroid injection but it didn't work. Tried physical therapy and it helped a little until I did some light housekeeping and then it was so painful I was ready to blow my head off. Instead of tying another steroid injection Dr. went to Radio Frequency Ablation. What is the procees that people go through to heal? I have done research and see that it can take days to a month to work and sometimes doesn't work at all. Other than that, there is no information. Today is day 8 after the procedure. I do not have the horrible back, hip or thigh pain, but I have this terrible pain at the knee. It is horrible. Keeping a heating pad on it because burning the skin detracts from the pain on the inside. Do the nerves dieing work their way down? Will this pain ever go away? If you have had this done please describe your healing process. Thank you.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 08/14/2014 - 8:03 AM
    varies according to the individual. I am not sure that it is going to relieve the leg pain though if that is caused by stenosis?
    RFA is done to relieve pain in the facet joints by burning the nerves in the joints of the facets.
    Worsening leg pain may be a sign that the stenosis needs to be checked again to make sure that it is not worsening.
  • I have had two RFA sessions, 1 for my right SI joint which worked well and 1 for l1-15/S1 which didn't. both recoveries were very painful for me for a couple weeks. Before I had either procedures, my PM let me know that RFA usually doesn't help leg pain.