Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 week post op check up

Met with my surgeon today for the 1 week check up and to remove the staples. He said I was fine to go swim, bike, walk, do yoga pushups crunches etc and a 30 lb weight limit. As much as I REALLY want to go for a bike ride or do yoga/bodyweight exercises, I am quite nervous even if he cleared me. Everything says it takes a few months to a year to fully recover. Does this sound odd to anyone else that he would tell me after a week is fine?

• Most discectomy surgery patients have restrictions posed for at least three months post op.
  • After a week I was barely THINKING about any of those activities, except walking. My surgeon wanted me to not lift, bend or twist for 6 weeks and only work on increasing the walking I was doing. At my 6 week appointment he cleared me for PT (which is just stretching and some light strengthening exercises) and to continue to walk. I was allowed to swim again.

I can't believe your surgeon said all that after one week.
  • I had a laminectomy, not sure if that matters about what Sandi said. And my 30 lb limit is 1 month i believehave to double check the work release note. But so far I have very little pain dont even need ibuprofen or Tylenol really. I just feel a bit sore when I get up from the couch or have to bend to get into the van cuz I am a too tall haha. Walking I am fine with but I feel like I could do 10-15 lb arm curls/exercises bench press(light weight) bike swim of course my leg muscles are quite atrophied at this point so I would have to take it very slow. I have some exercises that were given to me after my surgery I could do as well as some from PT. He is not sending me to PT right now for my ohter herniations bc he says they are small - said everyone has the ones i have(?). He is the top spine surgeon in the state and one of the top in the country so I do trust him but even this seemed too fast. As much as I want to get back into stuff I want to do it smartly. Which is why I came here to hear from others who are in the same position. My dad had the same about 10 years ago or so and was biking with in a week as well hasnt had a recurrence. Swimming I feel would be fine since it puts less stress on the back but that I couldnt do for 11 more days since that is when I will have access to a pool. I dont intend on doing anything other than walking for a couple more weeks but just seemed odd he cleared me for that this early. At 6 weeks I would really like to return to running but will wait and see to that - i was doing sprints prior to surgery but couldnt do much the next day.
This discussion has been closed.