Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dying from Chronic Pain

Hi - I don't know where to start. My husband had pain and a failed surgery years ago. No one since has been able to help him with a surgical option to relieve some of his back pain. SInce he has been in so much pain and has such limited activity - basically on the couch lying on one side - it has lead to a host of other medical problems - vein and circulation problems in his leg, dispepsia and extreme belching from an unknown cause, high trigylerides, general deconditioning and overall feeling sick all of the time. And there is nothing anyone can do - we have been to so many doctors. They don't do anything. He is young 49 years old and I just wish something could help. It's so sad. Its hard for me too - I haven't been able to cry about it until just now writing this - even though I think about it and am saddened by it all the time.

• We all know that it is difficult , living with and coping with back issues, and when surgery doesn't resolve the problem, it can be even more difficult.
    The worst thing that can occur is for the patient to give up, and not work at maintaining whatever physical activity they can manage and work toward improving their physical function.
    We also know that at times, it is easier said than done, but no matter what, you have to push him to continue to start working at some physical activity, even returning to physical therapy is a good idea. They can help to regain some of the muscle tone and increase his stamina and flexibility and over time, his endurance.
    The concerns about his veins and blood circulation are valid and can lead to blood clots if he limits his activities and lays in the same position .
    Has he seen a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician? If not, you may want to strongly encourage him to see one. It is a start. When did he last consult with a surgeon? When was his last imaging done?
    There have been advances in treating on going spinal pain, and it would be worthwhile consulting with another surgeon, perhaps at a large medical center who deals with complex spine injuries to see what, if anything can be done to ease his pain and get him moving again. He is far too young to be limiting his life in this way.
  • Oh honey I have the same problem as your husband. I'm having more parts of my body and mind fall apart over the past 2months. I'm dealing with a painful large lumbar seroma after back surgery, a csf, then one week later another back surgery. It seems every day grows dimmer, and things hurt more. My husband is trying to help too. There's nothing you can do but find someone to fix him. I've almost given up searching and I'm sure he has completely. We really need others to make those phone calls, search the Internet, etc. it's tiring and emotionally draining. I feel like God has just left me here on my own. Go to the CEO or the top of some large spine clinic. They should be testing for a lot of stuff, your regular docs. Pain management clinics- pain pumps, pain medications? Has he tried those?