Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C-5-6-7 and T-2 surgery

I have had 3 back fusions from L-1-6, I had a cervical fusion in 2012 on C-5,6,and 7, now on September 2nd I will have a posterior fusion on C-5,6,7 and T-1 and 2, my arm is killing me from the shoulder to the elbow and then down the front of my arm into the ring and pinkie finger. My neurosurgeon is probably the best neurosurgeon in the state of Louisiana, he told me that this will be a very painful surgery, has anyone else had this surgery? When I had the fusion on C-5,6,7 they went in tthrough my throat and I had zero pain, why will this surgery be so painful, I have been in Pain Management for 6 years so I have every medicine known to man, has anyone else had this surgery and how painful was it?

• Hi Gary

I had a Posterior Instrumented Fusion from C5-T2. The reason this procedure is so painful is because they cut through all those neck muscles to perform the surgery. If you have to wear a brace after (I did for 3 months), that adds insult to injury as the muscles not only have to heal, but u stop using them as well. I am almost 8 months post op and I am still working on strengthening these muscles via chin tucks and an array of other exercises....Tightness, weakness and fatigue become your biggest enemies, so hang on for the ride and just put your work in to get back where u need to be.
    4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
    And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Gary,
    Jonny is right, anterior fusion like your previous one was is usually less painful. I had a 360 of C4 thru C7 (anterior & posterior)
    back in 2007. Now I am about 21 weeks post-op of a posterior fusion of C2 all the way down to T3 and I won't lie, the healing of the muscle in my upper back was a tad bit intense but with time I'm doing just fine now. I had a hard collar for 12 weeks and after that my neck muscles gained strength in short order. And above all follow doctors orders.