Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

JennakJJennak Posts: 9
edited 08/18/2014 - 5:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
does anyone know how long it takes to recover from a laminectomy? I had one almost 4 months ago and started experiencing some muscle spasms recently. I am also still sore even to the touch. I wonder if this is normal?

• pinkfloydpinkfloyd Posts: 70
    edited 08/18/2014 - 5:57 AM
    is one of the milder spinal operations it's also knows as a decompression [depending on where it was along your spine will depend on your recovery time and your prognosis }
    when I had my laminectomy my pain was gone on the day of the operation but I was still having leg pain for around 12 months .mine was at L4/L5 I had good recovery for around 5 years .then it all went bad again .you are still in the early recovery time frame yet so don't get too down .if you're not better within a few more months then see your consultant also if you have any bladder or bowel issues you must seek medical advice ASAP
    you could try a TENS unit to help with your pain if you are thinking of purchasing one go for one that has pre programed options instead of one where you have to dial in the frequencies there are many TENS available EDITEDmake a good one and its not too expensive and its easy to use

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

• Thanks for responding. Do you know why it went bad after 5 years? Did you do PT? Core exercises? Did something happen? Thanks
  • Have you seen your surgeon for follow up? You are just out of the acute phase of post op recovery, so things can flare up periodically and if it continues, talk to your surgeon.
  • JennakJJennak Posts: 9
    edited 08/18/2014 - 2:58 PM
    Hi I am seeing him the Monday I get back from vacation in a week. I'm functioning so that's good but I'm still sore and some days are worst than others... When will I just be better?