Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multilevel degenerative disc disease with disc desiccation

I was just diagnosed with this issue through MRI. Need to speak with anyone that has this problem and what's best for recovery besides surgery
JS
advertisement

Comments

• HanshanHHanshan Posts: 9
    edited 08/18/2014 - 8:59 AM
    Desiccation IS the crux of DDD, so there is no need for the qualification "with desiccation." Conservative approaches are the first line of defense - physical therapy, nsaids, cold/heat packs, steroid injections, massage, TENS unit, and more esoteric modalities (acupuncture, etc). There are several experimental regenerative approaches that would not be covered by insurance - PRP (platlet rich plasma) injections [edited to remove website] and stem cell injections (google "bone marrow concentrate" and "degenerative disc disease" for more info). I have DDD at the L5-S1, it sucks!

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Have you seen your doctor regarding the outcome of your MRI? If not, when you do, he will go over the severity of your situation and address treatment options that may be relevant to your case.
    Everyone over the age of 21 or so is going to show some signs of DDD in their spines. It is a natural part of aging in most cases. Unless it is more extensive or severe in your particular case, or there are other anatomical issues causing symptoms, surgery isn't always necessary.
    Wait until you talk to your surgeon and see what he recommends as far as treatment goes.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/newbies-welcome/new-member-introductions/must-read-degenerative-disc-disease
  • I went to multiple different types of doctors to try anything but the surgery route, went to stem cell places that would take your cells mix with some other stuff and then inject, from the doctors i went to their rate of success was around 30% and the procedures were quite expensive, as well ass there was no insurance coverage ir a guarantee it will do anything for me since my discs couldn't even hold the die from a discography, surgery was my only route after the steroid injections and pain medicine didn't work after many months of pain(. whats your age and are you in severe pain, questions doctors will use to compare procedures for you), the doctors i spoke with said degenerating of discs was normal but not like what i had, too young and other issues as well, so far i wouldn't have changed anything, surgery was 8/8/14 for myself and I'm better than i was for the months prior to surgery