Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have Myelomalacia

• Welcome to th Forum Mike. I have a question, what is Myelomalacia? As far as the causes, have you tried a search on both the disease, and the side effects of. Oxycontin? What does your Dr say ?
  • Jonny ZeroJonny Zero Posts: 69
    edited 08/24/2014 - 5:55 AM
    Myelomalacia is a pathological term referring to the softening of the spinal cord. Hemorrhagic infarction (bleeding) of the spinal cord can occur as a sequel to acute injury, such as that caused by intervertebral disc extrusion (being forced or pressed out).

The disorder causes flaccid paraplegia (impairment of motor function in lower extremities), total areflexia (below normal or absence of reflexes) of the pelvic limbs and anus, loss of deep pain perception caudal (toward the coccyx, or tail) to the site of spinal cord injury, muscular atrophy (wasting away of muscle tissue), depressed mental state, and respiratory difficulty due to intercostal (muscles that run between the ribs) and diaphragmatic paralysis. Gradual cranial migration of the neurological deficits (problems relating to the nervous system), is known as ascending syndrome and is said to be a typical feature of diffuse myelomalacia. Although clinical signs of myelomalacia are observed within the onset (start) of paraplegia, sometimes they may become evident only in the post-operative period, or even days after the onset of paraplegia. Death from myelomalacia may occur as a result of respiratory paralysis when the ascending lesion (abnormal damaged tissue) reaches the motor nuclei of the phrenic nerves (nerves between the C3-C5 region of the spine) in the cervical (neck) region.

9.04 Any outside content or material directly quoted must include a reference to the location the source from which it came.
    copied from ................wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelomalacia

Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
    4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
    And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.
  • Most likely I should not try to over do tiring myself out. I should stay away from over stressing my muscles or even my mind?
    In other words chill out right?

• We all understand your concerns regarding your condition, however, these forums are full of people like you, with medical conditions, and I would strongly encourage you to remember that any advice you recieve is based on another laymen's interpretation of what they are reading and may or may not apply to your case specificially. The best advice that we can give you is to talk to your medical doctor about your condition, any limitations or treatment options, and research your condition yourself to see what applies to you in particular and what doesn't.
    NOT all cases of your condition will wind up like those mentioned above, and you need advice from your medical doctors regarding your case specifically......

5.12 You agree that any information, opinions or other content provided by doctors or patients on Spine-health.com forums is for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.
  • Sandi, that's good advise to Mike. Reading up on this condition us pretty scary. I have just review the results if my MRI. I'm reading ...comparable with myelomalacia. I was just at my dr and she referred me to my neurolsurgeon. I had ACDF on nov. 8, 2013. No one ever mentioned this condition at this time. I know my spinal chord was being compressed before the surgery causing concern. I had no pain, just numbness in my left hand. The surgery went really good and recivery was not as difficult as I had anticipated. I lost my voice and had to have vocal chord injections. My voice pretty much came back. I still do gave some trouble breathing but I think that's getting better. I had corpectomy and fusions in c3-7.everything is still in place despite a couple falls since my surgery. Hopefully, I will see my neurosurgeon so I can get some clarification on thus MRI. Myeloma lacuna is a pretty devastating disease from everything I've read. I will try to take your advise to not jump to conclusions. Is there a thread on here of people with this diagnosis that you might refer me too.? I'd like to hear what others have to say. Thanks margaret