Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

percocet 10/325 alternatives?

Hope everyone is well. Ive been dealing with severe lower back and leg pain due to a herniated dis for years. Right now I take tizanidine(doesn't help), gabapentin(worthless), aleve(a little).klonopin .5mg 4x/day(joke), Percocet 10/325 four/day(has helped more than anything), and just got switched from mscontin 15mg 2x/day to methadone 10mg twice a day.

In May I had a Lumbar Disc Replacement using the Prodisc L and I have regretted it ever since. The pain in my back and my legs is worse and now Im gonna need diapers.(25 yrs old).

Anyways to my point, the methadone has been helping a little bit by making the electric shock burning in my legs les severe and has made the constant sharp pain at the point of the implant more bearable. But I keep getting these episodes of take your breathe away type pain and have to take 2 sometimes 3 out of the 4 Percocet Im prescribed a day at once to not be in tears wanting to blow my head off.

The thing is though I don't want to take so many pills a day, I already take 6. PM doc talked about rotating me to dilaudid but the IV dilaudid they gave me in the hospital left me in agony the entire time, so then he changed the morphine to methadone which helps a bit more but id like to be comfortable for once. I haven't got a full night sleep in years. Does anyone know of a medication with the pain killing abilities of Percocet that is a little stronger, because taking 3 Percocet cant be good for the body. I just know very little about meds and am going to my PM doc Thursday and would like to bring some first hand patient knowledge with me.

Thank you all hope everybody has a pain free day.

• Percocet is a combination of oxycodone and acetaminophin. You could ask for Oxycodone and this would eliminate the acetaminophin from the equasion, but your doc may feel the you need both. Have you explained to your doc that you're in this bad of pain and the current prescriptions aren't working?
  • bindereabbinderea Posts: 31
    edited 08/18/2014 - 2:48 PM
    I am in the same boat. As of last week, cannot walk due to agonizing calf pain. I am on Percocet as well. Doesn't do a thing. Doc today changed my pain med to Oxycontin. Ill take 2 a day and fill in in with Percocet. I will let you know how it works.
    I have written several times on this board so not going to repeat my problems. Please let me know if you find any solution to this impossible condition!!
    Ellen Arnel
  • edited 08/21/2014 - 6:28 AM
    I was actually prescribed oxycontin in the past with the Percocet and the insurance said they no longer cover Oxycontin. Thank you for the idea though.

So drop the acetaminophen. Isnt it in there to make the oxycodone work better? I don't know. I saw an ad online one time for Opana IR 5 mg. I was thinking about asking the doc about this but not sure because they wrote me a script for Opana ER and every pharmacy said they have to special order it and that's when they wrote me methadone. Ive read some scary EDITED about methadone. Is it really dangerous?

It is so nice to find a forum where people with real spine problems can converge. Most other forums Ive read through are a bunch of drug users asking things like can I shoot __ pill? Its ridiculous, no wonder its hard to get meds filled.

Thank you all for your input. Do you think opana ir 5mg would provide more relief than the Percocet 10? Also how long is Percocet supposed to last? For me 2 or 3 hours of relief unless I take 2.

Post edited for inappropriate forum language. Use of foul language is not permitted on Spine Health forums. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/forum-etiquette-language-it-offensive-or-not

• I've been told by my doc that methadone is the only narcotic that really helps with nerve pain. If you get good results with that maybe its worth upping your dose of nerve meds or trying another. I know different things work for different people. There are so many to try Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Savella etc. they are all different drugs. I've never found a narcotic that's effective for my nerve pain, they only reduce the 'mechanical' type pain.
    I've tried a variety of different narcotic meds over the years. I currently take Opana as my extended release & Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. It's working pretty well. Nothing has ever come close to completely taking my pain away. It's so hard isn't it? I've been on the roller coaster of pain & associated depression for over 8 years now.
    I wish I could tell you what blend of different medications will work best for you but I can't. It's been trial & error for me. Changing the type of narcotic rather than continually increasing dose has allowed me to keep my doses pretty low. I was taking morphine before. It worked for my pain but made me feel brain dead. Ugh! We all react differently & our metabolisms effect how long meds last. I've always had to take my meds a little more frequently than the 'norm' it's not unusual.

I hope you have a good doc who listens & works with you. It makes all the difference! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EXACTLY as directed. It is not a medication that anyone should ever take MORE of , without clearing it with your physician first. It's extremely long half life has been discussed many times on this forum, and if you search for methadone topics , you can go back and read the discussions that have occurred.
    It is also useful for patients who have both mechanical and neuropathic pain, since it works on both types of pain effectively.
    Other opiates do not treat neuropathic pain, so taking the percocet to cope with increased nerve pain is not smart ( and can get you dismissed from pain management for misusing the medications without your doctors permission), but there are many other medications that are used successfully to treat neuropathic pain- Lyrica, gabapentin, cymbalta, amitryptaline, etc....those would be medications that I would suggest that you discuss with your doctor rather than trying to switch to another opiate to manage nerve pain......
  • i sent you a pm , need help
  • Percocet 10/325 works for me with the muscle relaxer, Soma. Sometimes I will have to add a couple of Tylenol to bump up the effects of it is severe. I am only supposed to need them every 8-12 hours, but.... a good day is only one or two. It has been quite awhile since I went without a PK throughout the day. Anyway that is what works for me.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.