Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone L5 S1 Herniation here

Long time lurker on this forum, finally decided to sign up today. As the title says, I have a L5 S1 herniation which gives me a great deal of grief causing sciatic pain.

I am 21 years old, like to keep very active (go to the gym 4 - 5 times a week) and work quite a physical job, used to train strictly a powerlifting style training split for roughly 3 years, which is how I ended up with this injury. I do what I can now, pretty much just upper body workouts with minimal free weights usage, mostly isolation machines and lots of core work (Only planks because are the only thing that doesn't cause me pain, just been building up my time holding the position for.

My back has been bad for almost 9 months now despite trying chiropractic and physio treatment, with no signs of any improvement during this time. Looking back to when I first did it I would say the sciatic pain is worse now.
I am certain that I am going to go down the surgery route, as it is affecting me in such a big way in day to day life. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this, unfortunately I am on NHS so waiting times will be long.

Anyway, I have come on here just to hear from other peoples experiences in a similar situation to mine.