Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello all

Hello everyone, just wanted to start some where before posting all over asking bad questions (only dumb question is a question not asked!?) and such!!:)

Little about me.. Well. My name is Jonathan, I'm an 18 year old punk with all the answers but lots of problems i cant solve (okay maybe thats to vague of a description lol)

No really okay serious face for a moment ;), I'm Jonathan, 18, and I've had lower back pain (severe10/10 to minimal 1/10) for almost. A year almost now. I always have had little hiccups of problems with my back because i play hockey (goalie), soccer (goalie), and weight lift consistently to stay in shape which knots me up. I have had a couple visits to the MD, couple to the chiro, and even one to the acupuncturist. My pain resonates through my lower left back, down my left hip and into my left leg.

The chiro had me relax and ice/heat when using and said i had a disc problem no xrays etc. Just a test where he elevated my leg and straightened my foot (point toes away from head) then put them back at a 90 degree angle and saw that the 90degree cause pain whilst straight was lessened...

The MD put me on prescriptions that didn't help and told me to take it easy.

The acupuncture didn't help even though it was extremely relaxing and very enjoy able. But the crazy Chinese herbal supplement she put me on did. When that ran out i tried home remedies.. To no avail. Gave up for a while.

Recently, (1 week) i started taking 100% crystal MSM 2x daily 1/2 teaspoon each, along side a turmeric supplement, small dosage of fish oil (GNC brand capsules, i believe 300mg each), dehydrated garlic granules (aprox. 5grams daily), and about a cup of pure aloe vera juice. All for anti inflammatory effects and bodily support. It seemed on day 1 to help but not having enough time to really know. I have a chiro appointment scheduled for the following monday as its been acting up quite bad lately (Hence the new trial run of "drugs").

So anyways! Thats me. Its nice to introduce myself, and as you can tell im quite cheerful even for being in pain! So hello world!:)

• in my expierience disc problems are not diagnosed by just having you stretch?if this continues i would really want to get an mri to really see what is going on there,hockey is a rough sport and you take some extremely hard hits and could have more damage there than you think, wieght lifting also puts great pressure on the spine and all its components,i would be careful going to the chropractor also, most of the time they can do more harm than good if things are ruptured or torn, i would stay away until i found out the integrity of my spine,what is this chinese herbal supp. you talk about? and what is crystal msm?, never heard of that. hang in there,my friend,gary
  • RaieverRRaiever Posts: 14
    edited 08/21/2014 - 10:03 AM
    Ive held off on lifting and hockey for a few months now just as a precaution!

The herbs she gave me were in pill form designed for over chest and body strength, she believed i had a major bruise deep i to the area. I wish i had the container and could list the ingredients! It was very interesting.

MSM is short for METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE (yes copy and pasted) and is a sulfur compound found in fruits veggies meats etc. As a supplement it is good for inflammation and such. As a quote from a book my doctor owns "MSM has an important role to play in the nonsurgical treatment of chronic back pain and should be considered as a partner in any conservative approach, such as chiropractic and acupuncture. Msm won't diminish the size of a protruding disk or eliminate the basic problem; however, it relieves the inflammation around the disc. It is this inflammation that compresses and irritates the root nerve coming out of the spinal cord."
    It can be used for many things and initially i was using it as a helpful attack on some acne that comes during hockey season, and found it was applicable for this also recently while doing research. (Quite a bit mind) it seems to help quite a bit actually and where i work sells it for like $8 / 16oz which lasts a long time haha.

Appreciate the post by the way gary.(: nice to meet you!
  • Ps: the stretch he had me do was interesting. The point he was proving was to straighten the toes relaxes muscles in the leg up to the spine, causing pressure to release off of whatever was being pinched and allowing me to move my leg further around with less pain. It does work, but its a lot easier to have someone hold your leg and straighten it.. The added support just helps to relax you a little more.

He had a scientific name he called it, but in simple words he said it seems a disc is compressed in the lower left back causing nerve pain and told me to relax, ice/heat and go from there.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 08/22/2014 - 5:00 AM
    straight leg raise test. It is done for a suspected herniation , to rule it in or out.
  • sandi said:
    straight leg raise test. It is done for a suspected herniation , to rule it in or out.
    Yes that! But he had some name for it haha. I just explained it how i took it so.. Thanks!(: