Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor Appointment Today at a loss of how to approach treatment

Hello people of the forum,

Let me start out by saying I have had two discectomies on my L5-S1 level. One on the right in 2006 and one on the left in 2013. I am only 25 years old. Between these treatments I have done countless hours of strength training and PT. I do light restorative Yoga and meditation every day. I have also bought a TENS machine to use at home for my constant pain after both surgeries. My Pain Management doctor is a great guy. Reliable and open to discussing ways to manage pain. He prescribed me a compound cream with Lidocaine, Ketamine, Gabapentin, and Clonadine. It helps with the DDD in my neck but has no effect on my back, plus the compounding pharmacy closed up shop in January. I should also mention I have severe DDD going all the way down my lower spine.

Recently the pain in my left side has continued to get worse, i'm gathering from bone growth or instability. I lose control of my leg, or I will simply stand up and get such a sharp bone/nerve pain that I cannot complete my daily activities. The other night I was in the ER with such bad pain that they gave me IV Dilauded because I almost vomited from the pain.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do or how to approach more serious options with my doctor. Like I said, i'm 25 years old and my age already places a stigma on me, but I can't like in pain like this anymore. I've had so many epidural injections I can't even count them, and i'm not willing to go through the process again just to have it fail. I know that there are patches people use that contain lidocaine or pain medication. I would like a non-narcotic option, but if there is a safe narcotic option I could use at bed time it would greatly help me. I see him today at 4:30. Can anyone provide me any help with how I should breach this subject? Or what pain management techniques have worked for you?

L5-S1 discectomy done on right side for sciatica 2006
L5-S1 discectomy done on left side
Severe DDD in cervical and lower spine.
Need chronic pain management options.