Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentynal and dangerous weight loss ask questions

MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
edited 08/22/2014 - 12:38 PM in Pain Medications
This is a repeat I am sure but for those that do not use the search I thought I would pass this on.

I was put on Fentynal 25mcg/hr then after 4 months it was increased to 50 mcg/hr for the last six months. During that time I lost 40 pounds. Of which I could not afford to loose even 10. The doctor has reduced the dosage to 37mcg/hr and my appetite is coming back. It was a PA who prescribed and increased the Fentynal.

It is my understanding that fentynal is extremely dangerous so ask questions if they decide to put you on it.

The 50mcg/hr did help my pain greatly, however at the expense of my overall health. I am male 5'9" and now up to 138 lbs I used to weigh 175 and it was mostly muscle, at my lowest I was 135 a few weeks ago.

• ToddrickTToddrick Posts: 15
    edited 08/27/2014 - 7:32 AM
    I lost a lot of weight on Fentanyl too. Then when I discontinued its use I suffered more than you can imagine. This drug is hellish, pure evil. I lost about 25lbs after I discontinued it, because my mouth was so dry for two weeks that I couldn't eat solid food without choking on the crumbs. I had panic attacks for at least six months afterwards--and I don't have anxiety, and never had a single panic attack before that. I was passing out every time I tried to stand, and going through things I could never describe adequately with words.

Post edited for inappropriate forum content. Please read the forum rules
    5.18 Spine-health.com reserves the right to edit, monitor and/or delete comments at our discretion without notice.

• I have been using Fentynal for many years to control my pain. I've been suffering with chronic pain since 2005 and have switched to other long lasting medications along the road but find Fentynal works the best for me. I did have weight loss but that was due to a diagnosis of celiac disease.
  • I tried fentanyl patches in the past. I was on them for about 6 months & they weren't the best meds for me. I was simply changed to another med. I had no adverse reactions at all. I really didn't think it was a big deal at the time. I'm sorry that some have hadvertising side-effects but that's the same with all of these strong meds. What works wonderfully for some doesn't for others. Lyrics was terrible for me but a lifesaver for others. There will always be some trial & error involved in finding the right meds because we all react so differently.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
    edited 09/11/2014 - 5:11 AM
    I had to go back to 50mcg.hr for 3 days. the first night I had an apitite. second day 2 PBJ sandwichs, third day, 1/2 a drumstick.

Post edited for inappropriate comment. The moderator team reserves the right to edit any post

• Wish I had the weight loss side effect
    Teresa wright