Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my chronic neck muscle pains

I have had many years (16) of constant burning sensation on both sides of my neck muscles especially with stress, driving, tv or computer work. plus I get muscular aches in the back side of my neck as well. its a constant problem.

I'm sitting here post op shoulder scope for impingement but thinking about my daily chronic neck muscular pain. I took (2) 10 -325 oxycodone to get ahead of my post surgery pain and notice that the first pain I get back is the neck pain. when can I find an answer? oxy doesn't even help ?

I have been like this since at least 1998 after a motorcycle accident an the advent of personal computers. had a run of chiropractic care and massage. then another rear ended motorcycle accident in 2005 and more years of computer work. more chiropractic care and massage. some session with physiologist and trigger point injections for specific right side neck muscle pain. many terms with various PT offices. muscles only got worse. constant burning sensations and a need to stretch/crack spasms. given flexiril, metaxalone, valium ( valium seems to work well but no doc wants to keep you on it). flexril only seems to make me very groggy anyway. new chiropractor also says I have cervical khyposis ( military neck ). I lay flat against wall a its very difficult to put my head along wall even with shoulders. I think a lot may be bad posture over the years as well.

2007 on to neurosurgeon and mri says I have herniated c34 c45 c56. (pardon my lack of capital letters, typing with one hand). fixed some problems but 50% still there. on to pain med dude who put me on lyrica and neurontin

mva 1998 & 2005
tramadol - on occasion - at first I thought it was the wonder drug but later I got flu like symptoms - on 3 different occasions
klonopin - I was taking this for anxiety attack about 4 years ago but seems to help like valium - still using
valium - I thought worked the best but no doctors want to keep you on it.
skelaxin - no change
flexeril - too groggy even at lowest dosage - not that effective anyway
lyrica (current )- did work for sharp pain I was having in one spot on my neck that felt like a knot - up to max dosage and have had a lot of weight gain - don't know if this is all the cause for that but I would like to wean off
Neurontin - no effect then given lyrica

in bed I have a foam mattress with various pillows. I seem to like no pillow best so that my head lies in the same plane as my back.

my curiosity is mostly about anyone else who gets the burning pain on the sides?

• I have similar pain in my neck, shoulder and collarbone area. I have had pain for the last 2 and half years that started with muscles spasms every so often and increased in more frequent intervals and then got regular at about every 2 weeks to being constant for the last 3-4 months. The burning pain drives me the craziest and the pain down my arms. It started with only my right side and now down my left also for the past few weeks. I cant put ice packs or heat on it because it intensifies the burning pain. I have herniated discs at C5 and C6 and C4 and C7 are bulging. The MRI showed disc fragments in the nerves in my neck. I seem to get the most relief from not moving my head and trying to keep it straight. I was prescribed meloxicam and cyclobenzaprine for the muscle issues but they don't help at all. And for major safety reasons, I cant take either if I am driving or working since it knocks me on my but for at least 8 hours and then drowsy for another 4 hrs. That is a full shift of work for me. lol. It took a long time before I was able to get a dr. to help me with this pain. I started seeing a chiropractor in march or april of this year. He was able to fix some issues in my back before this all got worse but I wasn't showing the improvement he was looking for. He decided to do further testing from there since my flare ups were constant. I also have a structural issue in my neck. The xray showed that my vertebrae in my neck are going straight forward. A person is supposed to have curve. Which came first? Who knows? I had to switch pillows to try to get more support. I ended up buying a MY Pillow online. It helped a little bit but not enough to make it worth buying. Nothing against the company. I just think my neck is so far gone and needing to be fixed that nothing is going to help it now. I was very anti surgery for a while but now I just want it fixed since the pain and the weakening in my arms is getting worse by the day. I have 2 more days until I get to my appt. at the neuroscience clinic.
    I hope you are able to get some relief soon. Something has to work at some point, right?
    Tracie C
  • I have had a bad week and missed work last 3 days. I am still post op from shoulder surgery and was taking Percocet 10/325 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours since last Friday and then last Tuesday I stopped. I then ended up with flu like symptoms for Tues - Weds and today. I have looked up withdrawal but I don't think I was on Percocet long enough to have these symptoms and my neck is killing me. I think I'm hyper sensitive to opiates and synthetic opiates. At first they are great but I end up with serotonin syndrome type symptoms after light use.