Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can neck pain lead to involuntary hand movements that last all day?

Hello my fellow neck, back, arm, shoulder, hand pain sufferers. I've been exploring the posts on this forum for a little over a month now and it's quite comforting to be able to hear all the different stories about treatments that worked or didn't work and how surgery is always the last option in everybody's mind. Now here's a brief description of my situation.

I got rear ended on the freeway in mid may of this year as traffic in LA is known to come to a sudden halt and the dude behind me was probably on his cell phone. So long story short, car was totaled and I've been seeing this chiro ever since then and man it's been one hell of a ride. It started out as a stiff neck and now I'm at a point where I'm in bed for the entire day. I can't find a comfortable chair for the life of me. Forget about fancy couches or pillows. So the chiro has consistently provided very temporary relief. To the point where it doesn't seem worth the painful drive there. He ordered me a cervical MRI after about a month and the report came back with a pretty long list of impressions. It didn't really say much other than a lot of disc desiccation and about 3 - 3mm bulging discs. There have been periods of 1 or 2 days of some relief at best. The thing that causes me the most annoyance throughout the day other than the excruciating pain is involuntary hand movements in my right hand 24 hours a day for almost 2 weeks now. I'm seeing a neurologist now and I did a EEG test have a couple more MRIs coming up. He's got me on some meds that don't do much for the pain or the hand movements.

The hand movements happen when hand is at rest. Depending on which finger I use last, that's the one that starts bending and unbending continuously. If I use the entire hand the entire hand makes the same gesture that I made it willingly do. When laying my hand flat down my index finger makes a worm movement like gesture continuously. If I lay my hand face up, my pinky and rink finger go. It is driving me nuts and is quite painful. Anybody else experience anything like this?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My feet do the same. I currently take valium 3 times a day to help control this, The valium worked better then any other muscle relaxer I was given, It was discovered while being prescribed Valium when my mother passed away. My hands and feet will curl up into some of the most painful ways. My foot actually curled so bad it broke my ankle. I have had 5 cervical surgeries so the answer is yes it can cause it.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am glad you found the forum informative and helpful. You may not find the exact answer but you will find genuine support here.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had 2 MRIs ordered but only one was approved by insurance and I was prescribed valium so that I could lie on my back long enough for the scan and the hand movements significantly slowed down but have not stopped and now I'm out of valium. :(
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    edited 08/25/2014 - 10:19 PM
    I did and she told me it is known as the worlds oldest muscle relaxer. lol. she had no problem prescribing them to me. Ive been a long term Pain patient and have not failed a drug screen in 12 years. Got a false read one time but that was it, once it was sent to lab for more testing it showed my meds were in my system, That being said she knows I will not abuse them so has no problem prescribing