Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Returned to work 2 1/2 months post op, still have some pain and now tingling

I had 2 laminectomys done on May 30. I have been healing nicely with a bit of pain still on the right side, and on the lower part of my right leg. Anyways, I returned to work with limitations on lifting, bending and twisting. I am a machinist so I am on my feet most of the day. As expected, the 1st day on the job I noticed an increase of pain. Didn't need to take any painkillers though. 2nd thru 4th days the pain seems to be getting a little better day by day. 2nd week at work I noticed the pain is still there but now I am feeling strange sensations in my right leg, like wind blowing on it and a little tingling sensation. Still not taking painkillers until I get home, then I would take one percoset. I had a headache at work one day so I took a couple excedrin and it got rid of that back pain also. After I get home and relax for a bit the pain seems to subside somewhat. If I am sitting for a few then get up to stand, the weird tingling returns but it comes and goes. The pain doesn't affect my ability to do my job, but I do feel some discomfort. Almost like the sciatica before the surgery but it does feel different now. I am beginning to wonder what's up with the weird sensations in my leg and the pain that is still in the lower right side of my back. The pain doc says the nerves are probably still waking up after being pinched for so long. I told the neurosurgeon's office about it and they told me to keep monitoring it and if it doesn't subside or gets worse to let them know. I think I may have really underestimated how long it's going to take to fully recover from the surgery, people telling me that it may take 6 months or longer for the bones, nerves and ligaments to fully heal.

• Increased nerve pain or return of nerve pain post op is common and especially in those who had compressed nerves before surgery. The nerve recovery can take up to two years in some individuals based on how bad the compression was, and the type of nerve.
    That being said, as the nerve recovers, there are some weird sensations and changing of type of nerve pain involved , which is a good sign that things are improving. It is however, a slow process.
  • 11 months since surgery. There is arthritis pain that goes across the middle of my lower back. Sciatica still gone on left side, but I still get a twinge of pain on the right side. Some pain going down my right leg, but it doesn't go all the way down. It seems to stop in my upper leg and then starts up again in my right calf, where the buzzing/tingling sensation is. The buzzing is still there but it has gotten better but still will not go away completely. I am still on percoset 10/325, 2 per day and those do help. Tylenol and ibuprofen do very little. I am thinking either the surgeon missed something or they left something in there when they did the surgery. I went on a trip recently in which I had to go through several TSA body scanners. Every time I went through one of those, something in my low back would set it off and they would pull me aside to look at my back. I told them about the surgery but to the best of my knowledge there is no metal in there. I told my pain doctor about it, it looks like I may need another MRI to see what's going on in there.